Feeding fish Over a vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PsiPro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,

I will be going away for 4 weeks ish and I'm trying to plan how to feed the fish. I have an auto-feeder for the flake and pellet food. But I need to find a way to feed the puffers, who only eat brine shrimp (well mostly). Sadly the brine shrimp can't be automated.

Normally i feed the puffers every other day, but the guy we are paying to watch the cats comes every 3 days... Will the fish last that long for an extended peroid? Anyone have a better solution? I would prefer not to have the guy come every other day, but i guess you have to do what you have to do.

Every other day would be fine even if they are used to being fed daily. In the wild they are not fed on a regular basis. Every three days may be fine but that's pushing it IMO. Try experimenting with the feeding schedule and changing it now. That way when you leave it won't be a sudden reduction in food.

I've never kept puffers before so pardon the dumb question, but why do they need to be fed every day? With the exception of fry, I've never had a fish that couldn't easily handle eating only every third day.

I'm sure all fish are somewhat unique, perhaps puffers are particularly sensitive, but I've read that most aquarium fish can go quite a few days in a row without eating.

well first of all its an extra day that they will not be eating and you are worried?

do you have any friends or family that could take him , that is if his tanks not so big. and keep him at there house.
then you dont have to worry so much..

I'm sorry, it was late when i wrote that. The other fish in the aquarium can be fed every day with an automatic feeder....

the puffer fish however are currently fed every othe day. I wanted to know if I could expand the feeding to every three days while I am away.

It's probably fine, as Fishyfanatic mentioned, try it yourself and see if there are problems before you go away. My fish usually get fed every other or every third day, depending on what's going on and what they were last fed. This keeps down the chances of bloat and liver disease.

voodoo chili just because the fish can go for a few days without eatting, that doesnt mean you shouldnt feed them daily, humans can go without food for a month without eatting, i dont think its healthy though

they may go a few days in the wild without eatting...they also tend to have much shorter lifespans

Back
Top Bottom