Feeding Frozen Food Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought some scarlet badis today and will be feeding frozen food. Following the LFS's advice I purchased prawn eggs (they seem like they are going to be a pain) So here is my question: theyv said to cut off a small bit and put it in a cup of water to thaw. Cant I just put it in a cup without water till it thaws? I dont like the idea of using chlorinated water to thaw fish food and think it would be easier without the water anyway.
Thanks in advance! God bless!

You could use tank water, it just thaws a lot faster in water than it does sitting out. A few ounces of chlorinated water isn't going to hurt the tank, but you could also put a drop of dechlorinator in it if you really wanted.

jetajockey said:
You could use tank water, it just thaws a lot faster in water than it does sitting out. A few ounces of chlorinated water isn't going to hurt the tank, but you could also put a drop of dechlorinator in it if you really wanted.

Was gonna reply but Jeta beat me to it lol :(

lol thanks for answering so fast though! Are prawn eggs good food?

I've no idea what prawn eggs are, I've used brine shrimp eggs though.

I feed my pygmy sunfish (very similar to badis) with thawed bloodworms, but I've never tried it on badis because I've yet to buy any.

ok so maybe? lol if it doesnt go well I will try something else...

Can I just drop in a chunk frozen? That would not huirt the fish would it?

Oh my.... eggs went everywhere..... It was a mess..... They did NOT stick together.... Cant I drop it in still frozen!? And will the fish be able to find all those eggs!?

I have read feeding fish frozen food will bring down their body temperature too fast and will kill them...):

oh ok. So what do you recomend? These little eggs flew EVERYWHERE!

Also will any salt in the frozen food hurt the fish?

Next time just thaw them out in a cup of aquarium water, and put some in little by little

Are you sure you don't have to hatch them first? I've never heard of feeding prawn eggs before, but I know brine shrimp eggs are usually readily available.

I didnt read the box.... (wheres that facepalm guy at? lol) the guy at the LFS said just drop them in water to thaw then add them to the fish tank!

I would assume if they are frozen, there is no way of getting then to hatch after their frozen state...unless ofcoarse it is possible, I don't know much about prawns eggs

I would assume if they are frozen, there is no way of getting then to hatch after their frozen state...unless ofcoarse it is possible, I don't know much about prawns eggs
Actually I am alittle worried they will hatch.... Unless they are saltwater.......... Freshwater prawns are evil little bugers. They will kill everything so I hope they do not hatch. I think that frozen tubifex worms can still hatch...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom