feeding habits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicfishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
me and my brother were talking on the phoen the other day and he started an intresting topic. he asked if it was better to feed your fish at night adn leave the lights on for an hour or so afterwards so the fish can eat, kick back and digest b4 they go into sleep mode, same question but with the morning feeding, is i tbetter to turn the lights on, wait about 30 minutes then feed, or just feed as soon as they come on? I personally wait about an horu in the morning and at night I feed then wait about 45 minutes and kill the lights and fire up the moon lights. what about you guys? what kinda feeding habits do you have?

I have taken to feeding only at night now. I feed 1-2 hours before lights out. I used to feed in the mornings but I always have to head out the door and the food sits on the bottom before the fish really wake up, so I decided one feeding a day would be better than one partially wasted.

I feed in the evening when I get home from work. The timer is set to turn off the lights at 7 and I am usually settled at home around 6:30. So usually they get a half hour after feeding before the lights go off.

tropicfishman - I guess it depends on fish and if your feeding them large amounts or small amounts. If your talking about fry of juviniels (SP?) I try to feed 2-3, sometimes 4 or 5 times a day. For adult fish I usually feed 2 or 1 time a day. Also for some of the more aggressive fish, feeding them more often helps to keep aggression down in the tank. I have also read feeding them smaller meals more often is similar to how they would have feed in the nature, but how natural is fish in a glass box filled with water in your home. Another thing I have read is a hungry fish is a healthy fish.

Back
Top Bottom