Feeding MicroAlgae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boulder

Aquarium Advice Activist
When ya'll feed a liquid microalgae such as PhycoPure do you turn off your powerheads and any other equipment that creates water flow?

Some folks do, depending on what you are feeding. I am assuming you are feeding your torch coral? Some folks also target feed by placing a cut coke bottle over the coral and feeding through the mouthpiece.

I am assuming you are feeding your torch coral?

Actually - I am feeding a feather duster.

When I bought my live rock one of the hitch-hikers was a feather duster. Was very neat to watch for the first few hours but I was thinking 'get the live rock in the tank' and didn't think to acclimate the duster so he released his crown after about 3 hours in the aquarium.

Well today he decided all was OK and we awoke to the duster flowing a new crown in the current! So my LFS said it's not necessary but very beneficial to the entire tank to feed PhycoPure every other day.

Ahhh, that's right, I remember that one. I'll have to defer to the experts on that one, since I only have the tiny, plain white ones. If I remember from the ID section, yours is still smallish, you might not need to target feed it much at all. Again, wait till some of the folks that know more about them chime in.

So my LFS said it's not necessary but very beneficial to the entire tank to feed PhycoPure every other day.

beneficial, yes. necessary, no. I got several small feather dusters with my LR. I feed my six-line and my pepperments. the dusters are growing so they must get food from somewhere.

Anyone else have a thought. What feeds the dusters if you are adding nothing to the tank?

Back
Top Bottom