Feeding reclusive fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
Hi all,

The bumblebee catfish I picked up at auction is proving either very reclusive or nocturnal. Any ideas on feeding? The tank is very well patrolled by a few other dozen fish even after lights out.

I did try dropping pellets down a straw (pics below to prove it!) but it was a bit tricky. I could pick a better 2ft tube though as he hangs around inside the sunken plane mostly. To date I've only seen the tail and whiskers. Wish I'd taken a better photo when I got him but was very late for me.

74564-albums13177-picture69436.jpg

I tend to spot feed the general area with some of my shy fish. I just feed the other fish first and once they are full I put some back in the shy fish hiding spot.

Caleb

Thanks for the reply.

I found the auction sheet and it's the South American version of the catfish. Not sure if much difference to the Asian one.

I do wonder if this one has been allowed to get set in its ways. The other catfish I've had from young and they all know to come out at feeding time and that certain spots will get sinking pellets.

I think I'll try getting food to the hiding spot again. The trouble is the tongs I have are just under 2 feet and at least two feet of something is needed to get say wafers or frozen food in. Yard long tongs might work.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=303

Last edited:
Funny but my idea would be to 'starve him out'!
All in good safe measure...
I would continue with normal tank feeding,maybe even lighten up to see who really wants to eat?

Possibly knowing where he hangs you can target feed the whole tank near him?

Funny but my idea would be to 'starve him out'!
All in good safe measure...
I would continue with normal tank feeding,maybe even lighten up to see who really wants to eat?

Possibly knowing where he hangs you can target feed the whole tank near him?

I know, I know - I should tough it out. He looks fine from what I can see and the small fish are still there :)

If I could float feed out to the centre of the tank and drop it down or find tongs longer than two feet.

I guess I'm um'ing on what to do.?I've never had a fish this reclusive or shy.

Thinking more I think that's where I am stuck. Unsure if to go with tough love or try something or a gadget in feeding (family rolled their eyes on that one :) )

Back
Top Bottom