Female Gourami Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

almcloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
I realized that my female Red Dwarf Gourami takes sand from the bottom of my tank in her mouth and rushes to the surface by the floating plants blowing it all over them.
Any ideas what that means?

I also saw bubbles under my floating plants. I know they do that :) The sand "thing" I just don't know :-/

Ardynas said:
According to this thread, their Gourami was making a bubble nest and blowing sand into it.

Sand in bubblenest? [Archive] - Aquariumlife

Are you sure your female is not a male? Is your DG paired up? If it's single, it would have no reason to build a bubble nest correct?

I have a Blue Mail and a red Female Dwarf Gourami. I hope a wasn't sold 2 mails :-/ Will post pics.

It is my understanding that the female DG's are not nearly as bright as the males. Rather bland looking. Course, if one of them is building a bubble nest that should settle that! The DG NOT building the nest should be the female.

PICS of Blue and Red my two DG

Was sold Blue as male and later on Red as female.
Red is the one building what seems like bubble nest using sand (see my previous paragraphs)
Here are some pics.
Please advice.
Thanks.

Attachments

• DG male or female - 1.jpg
    DG male or female - 1.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 84
  • DG male or female - 2.jpg
    DG male or female - 2.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 79
  • DG male or female - 3.jpg
    DG male or female - 3.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 73
  • BLUE - profile.jpg
    BLUE - profile.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 98
Bubble nest

Bubble nest by floating plants and sand he/she used and that fell on fake drift wood after blowing it on plants.

Attachments

• Bubble nest by floating plants and sand that fell on fake drift wood.jpg
    Bubble nest by floating plants and sand that fell on fake drift wood.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 94
  • Close-upon bubble nest.jpg
    Close-upon bubble nest.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 70
Going by the anal fins, I'd say either the honey is male and the blue female, or they could both be females. The anal fin is more rounded than pointed in females, so that's a definite possibility.

It's very hard to tell. Most stores don't carry female DG's because they are dull looking. However if you had two males they would probably be somewhat territorial. If you have a pair (m/f) they should get along better.

If you google-image 'gourami bubble nest' you will see that the nest are pretty extensive.

800px-Schaumnest.jpg

Just remember that the males make the nest and then coaxes the female to come up to the nest to lay the eggs. The male will fertilize the (floating) eggs and then place them into the nest.

Back
Top Bottom