Female killed male Betta!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spartacus420

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Male betta was a halfmoon black orchid Betta Splendid got from Petsmart had him a few months in a 10 gallon tank he was always kinda lethargic or just slow swimming not the same as a more natural fish anyway i got Pearl the female koi Betta also at Petsmart a much more natural short fin fish who is definitely smarter, faster, more agile and meaner than the long-fin "mutant" male take it how you want but she is a way better fish and pet. At first when i put Pearl in tank with him he would harass and chase her till she would do nothing but hide and was scared to death so i moved the male to a 29 gallon brand new tank hasn't finished cycle yet he stayed in there for maybe a month then i bought an Electric Blue Acara (awesome fish) well i read how nice of a cichlid EB Acara's are and they make good community fish and wont hurt other fish, Mine isn't peaceful and is mean just like an African cichlid and chased the Betta down biting half his tail fin off so I immediately pulled the Betta out and put him back in the 10 gallon with Pearl the first parts of Pearls attacks was too gruesome as she literally ate his fins for breakfast. biting him and not letting go while he panic swims all over the place with her attached until a piece rips off which she would eat and then attack again and again and again until... The male only landed one bite to her tail.

(female Betta "Pearl" has recovered fully from the fight and is well and healthy) only damage was the one nip to her tail

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you aware that when putting bettas together one will usually kill the other one? More normally the male will kill the female, but in its already weakened state the male would have been defenceless.

Last edited:
Or perhaps Pearl is a male. I have received a mistaken gender Betta, and not known until later when he was chasing and attacking the fish in the sorority. And there were missing fish before I actually caught the male in the act of harassing / attacking.

Back
Top Bottom