Ferts Imbalance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Creamhorses

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have been dosing Flourish [Comprehensive Supplement] for several months now. I add by counting drops from the bottle.

About a month ago, my four Anubias began to sprout blossom stems....one of them actually sent 2 skyward. I thought this was great, so I increased my dosage from five drops per day [90 gallon] to 10dpd.

Unfortunately, my African Swords and some red leaved plants which I can't id are looking worse. The Sword leaves are dying without new shoots coming up. The 'red' in the leaves of the bushy plant has faded and the leaves are looking opaque.

I stopped fert. and hoping to see an improvement on the latter two plants. If I were to set up another tank with Anubuias as centerpiece plants, I'd keep up this dosing to see how the Anubias would fair.

Has anyone experienced this type of growth with one plant and reverse on others?

CH

It's only natural to add more ferts or light when you see that your plants are doing well. You think you are doind a good thing, but sometimes your not! I am guilty of putting more light on my tank to get better growth, when what I had was pretty good. Cheers to you for trying to make your plants happier, but sometimes they are doing great as it is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Different plants can and do need different levels of ferts and light to keep them happy. Trick is to research and keep as many species as you can with similar needs. All the rest is trail and error, which you are now learning! Good luck.

I'm not sure that the Flourish Comp did that. Are you using root tabs under the swords? They are heavy root feeders, and that could be a sign that they are not getting the nutrients they need, and might need more or new tabs under them. Comp is just trace elememts, and shouldn't affect anything if you add a little more, other than maybe algae due to too much iron, if dosed too much.

How much light do you have? Do you inject CO2? Do you add any other ferts besides the Flourish?

Sounds to me like not enough light or a lack of some nutrient.

Back
Top Bottom