Fiddler Crab Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still need to know about filters... It came with an HOB filter, but I'm not sure that would work (because the water won't be high enough). We are going to test it, and build a waterfall down from it if it works. I need to know about seeding... See first post. Also, I need to know about paint if anyone can help. Thanks!

TheMurrays said:
I still need to know about filters... It came with an HOB filter, but I'm not sure that would work (because the water won't be high enough). We are going to test it, and build a waterfall down from it if it works. I need to know about seeding... See first post. Also, I need to know about paint if anyone can help. Thanks!

I would do a repto or tetra whisper filter which are basically the same thing lol. U can use an old cartridge from a cycled tank to seed but if u only have one in your established tank it can mess up that tanks cycle ( cause a mini cycle) u can put some gravel from an established tank or plants. U can even squeeze the filter media from an established filter into your new filter as well.. Since u have two other tanks u should be able to get plenty seeding material

I would do a repto or tetra whisper filter which are basically the same thing lol. U can use an old cartridge from a cycled tank to seed but if u only have one in your established tank it can mess up that tanks cycle ( cause a mini cycle) u can put some gravel from an established tank or plants. U can even squeeze the filter media from an established filter into your new filter as well.. Since u have two other tanks u should be able to get plenty seeding material

So I can't just put the new cartridge behind the cartridge in my established tank and leave it for a while?

TheMurrays said:
So I can't just put the new cartridge behind the cartridge in my established tank and leave it for a while?

Yeah u can do that if u are going to wait a couple weeks. U wanna put the new
One in front so it carrys the BB from the old to new

Yeah u can do that if u are going to wait a couple weeks. U wanna put the new
One in front so it carrys the BB from the old to new

Definitely going to wait a couple weeks. I can't afford to start yet! And then I need to put the fish right in, correct? Also, can I just stick the cartridge anywhere in the existing filter or does it have to be in a certain spot to get the bacteria?

I would put the cartridge right in front of the old one for a couple of weeks... Maybe three and then I would put it in the new tank for a couple days and then see how your parameters are but typically that would "cycle" the tank. I would start out small though since you aren't cycling the whole tank. Like a few small fish at a time

Flossie said:
I would put the cartridge right in front of the old one for a couple of weeks... Maybe three and then I would put it in the new tank for a couple days and then see how your parameters are but typically that would "cycle" the tank. I would start out small though since you aren't cycling the whole tank. Like a few small fish at a time

But hey I'm no expert so hopefully someone with more experience in cycling will chime in and give u a positive :)

I saw that you are supposed to add fish right away for the bacteria to have something to eat. But yeah. The tank looks great now and I'm sooooo excited!

TheMurrays said:
I saw that you are supposed to add fish right away for the bacteria to have something to eat. But yeah. The tank looks great now and I'm sooooo excited!

Yeah if you have enough BB built up u can add fish ( a few) bc the rest of ur tank needs to build BB. U can keep BB alive without fish with a little fish food but I'm sure it would be fine for a few small fish after building bb on filter media for a couple of weeks

does anyone know what would be better to add first to help build up the BB, the fiddlers or the bumblebee gobies?

Back
Top Bottom