Fiddler crab male to female ratio.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uaramper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is the ratio for the fiddler crabs male to female so that the males are not always fighting.

I would like to know as well. I had 2 males, 3 females in my old 30 gallon set-up but my lefty male (my roommate had named him Yoda but I rechristened him Murder Crab) killed everyone (starting with the females). They had lots of hiding places & were fed well-- probably TOO well. So I'm not sure what the problem was. He just hunted them down one by one, harassing an individual until it was disassembled. I then decided to try 2 more females, which he also tore apart, then gave up, not wanting to sacrifice any others to his thirst for murder. He lived for another year as "King of the Tank"... Next, I tried 3 males in my current 20 gallon, thinking maybe with no girls around, the boys might get along. And they did until molting time made the round. Roland (who was pretty beat up to start with) got pulled apart while still soft from molting (he came out of his cat skull hiding spot to soon). I'm not sure who got to him. Then Lefty (another left clawed) tried but gave up the ghost, never even fully cracking his carapace all the way. I even put him gently in a separate tank just in case Huel got hungry, but no luck for Lefty. Now there's just Huel, the biggest **** fiddler I've ever seen. He's way more mellow than Murder Crab so I was thinking about getting him a couple girls to play with. I just wonder how many would be a good balance to keep the peace. I know he's got some age on him because of his size & don't want to introduce a couple teeny-boppers who might just tear him up. He's way too cool for that!
Thanks for any advice!

Back
Top Bottom