Fighting Mollys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcgdz86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently started a 36g tank that has 2 male mollys and a male Betta. They have all been in the tank for about a week now. Over the last week.. The Dalmatian Molly would occasionally chase the black Molly around the tank but nothing too violent. But yesterday when I went to feed them they started fighting. I tried to break it up and separate them with a net. They did the same thing this morning at feeding and I caught it on video

https://youtu.be/QOvVSjFXBeA

Is this just natural behavior between 2 males that I shouldn't worry about? Should I try and break it up when I see them doing this or let them be? Do I need to separate them? Any advice would be appreciated

Last edited:
I recently started a 36g tank that has 2 male mollys and a male Betta. They have all been in the tank for about a week now. Over the last week.. The Dalmatian Molly would occasionally chase the black Molly around the tank but nothing too violent. But yesterday when I went to feed them they started fighting. I tried to break it up and separate them with a net. They did the same thing this morning at feeding and I caught it on video

https://youtu.be/QOvVSjFXBeA

Is this just natural behavior between 2 males that I shouldn't worry about? Should I try and break it up when I see them doing this or let them be? Do I need to separate them? Any advice would be appreciated

I have mollies but most of them are female so i dont have any experince on males. Might because males and males, maybe thats the reason like betta lol (idk ._.)

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You need to add some females (preferably 3 or more per male) to help break up the fighting.

I'd also keep an eye on the betta as they can turn vicious at any time.

Caleb

Fun fact: mollies can be total jerks. For "peaceful community fish" some individuals can have quite the attitude and be rather combative. It is actually not all the uncommon. You can go ahead and try adding some females (4-6) to see if that helps.
If it doesn't help, or if you don't want that many mollies, I suggest re-homing one. Do you have another tank you could transfer one into?

Fun fact: mollies can be total jerks. For "peaceful community fish" some individuals can have quite the attitude and be rather combative. It is actually not all the uncommon. You can go ahead and try adding some females (4-6) to see if that helps.
If it doesn't help, or if you don't want that many mollies, I suggest re-homing one. Do you have another tank you could transfer one into?

Thank you for the advice. I'd rather not add that many more mollies as I was hoping to have quite a diverse community. I think I will try re-homing the aggressive guy if this behavior continues and am keeping close tabs on them until I can do so. Thanks again!

Hello I'm totally new here to the site. I found your post interesting as I just started a 36 gallon bowfront freshwater a couple weeks ago. I let my son pick the fish at the store and he picked a black molly and dalmatian molly along with two glow barbs or maybe they are tiger barbs and a couple snails. I am actually not sure because they do glow green but have the black stripes and I forgot the names.

I haven't seen any of that type behavior out of the two mollies we have, but I have no idea if mine are males or females. I got everything from Petsmart. I literally know nothing about fish but I was almost wondering if you needed other fish to keep those two a little "occupied". We've had the 2 mollies and the 2 glo barbs for 2 weeks now and I just added 6 glo danio and 2 glo tetras.

Your glofish glow because the original fish were injected with jellyfish DNA. It's now naturally part of their genetics.

Head over to the getting started section to learn how to cycle your tank as it is vitally important.

You can create your own thread and with some good pictures we can sex your fish.

Caleb

Hello and welcome to fishlore!

Can you take pictures? Not sure but if you put too many fishes in your tank, it will be "overstocked."
For the gender of the mollies, female have anal fin (fin that is under the fish) that shaped like fans and male's shaped like stick.

Gilbert

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Just for the record this is Aquarium Advice... FishLore is a whole other forum...

Can't say I've seen this happen before lol.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom