Film on surface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomasm87

Aquarium Advice Activist
I always have this film on the surface of my tank. Every time i do a PWC i skim the surface with a cup to scoop out the film. But its back in a day. Im thinking its the flakes but not sure. Does anyone else have this problem?

Attachments

• DSC00158.jpg
    DSC00158.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 93
greetings.

film like that used to happen to me too, i was confused as to what it was. i since then read what it was, and how to prevent it. i forgot what causes it but if you place your filter output or a circulation pump just below the surface so it causes movement in the top of the water, the film sould disappear.

sincerely,
nereksnad.

It is a bio film made of waste, proteins and general funk. Increased surface agitation will help mix it back into the water and increased PWCs will help remove it. To get rid of it right now you can use paper towels... Gently lay them flat on the surface then remove and toss, repeat as needed.

It is a bio film made of waste, proteins and general funk. Increased surface agitation will help mix it back into the water and increased PWCs will help remove it. To get rid of it right now you can use paper towels... Gently lay them flat on the surface then remove and toss, repeat as needed.

Well said! I just had a post yesterday and learned the same thing. I haven't done it yet,but i need to aim spray bars closer to surface. Good Luck!

mohican said:
Well said! I just had a post yesterday and learned the same thing. I haven't done it yet,but i need to aim spray bars closer to surface. Good Luck!

Yeah thats what ill do as well.

Back
Top Bottom