Filter Clogged Within A Week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nintendogore64

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey y'all,

So I have a small 10-gallon tank, that's planted, with two small common goldfish temporarily before I move them to my other 50 Gallon tank.

Anyways, I just got it a week ago, I currently have a filter rated for 30 gallons running. It is an Aqueon QuietFlow 20. The filter has an "LED" indicator when it is time to replace the filter and it was on after about 4-5 days. I checked the filter itself and saw that it was caked with this brown paste on both ends of the filter pad.

I assumed that maybe it was because I was overfeeding the fish, But I'm not sure. Any of ya'll experience the same thing?

Thanks

Gold fish + small tank + over feeding...
You have there a self answered question lol

Gold fish + small tank + over feeding...
You have there a self answered question lol
I figured It was the small tank and overfeeding, and the stinky goldfish. It was a sudden gift from a friend so having to manage my fish on such short notice has been fun but busy.

I also looked up online that brown algae could be the culprit in my new tank, which I've to haven' t had to deal with in my other 50-gallon tank. I'm not sure if its because the tank isn't getting enough light? or straight up that these inch and a half goldfish are producing so much waste in a planted tank that I need to really expand their tank.

What would you recommend fishing buds, should I clean out the filter? incorporate a cleaner fish? or just make a move. or buy a new filter pad every 4 days.

Don't need a NEW pad, just rinse out the old one in the water you take out of the tank during a water change. With that size tank & 2 Goldies I'd definitely be doing 50% weekly or 25% every 3/4 days. Pads can actuall be used for months without changing, only straight filter floss needs changing on a weekly basis

You will always fight this tank, specially with this set up. (We are not suppose to fight it) I got that it was from nowhere and suddenly u have this fish, but at least you know that you will continuously fighting agaisnt this tank set up, gold fish need a bigger and different set up, over feeding is hard to control in different tanks and the water appearence will be your key to find out your answers. If you have to do water changes every 3-4-5 days in a fish tank, things can be wrong (im including the fact of over population, not the right size of tank, filters, water movement, tap water...anything will pop up as the water parameters)

Back
Top Bottom