Filter/CO2 Reactor concept

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Garou

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
On saturday, I will be picking up a 44G corner tank, with the plans of making it a planted tank. I've been toying around with the idea of making my own filter/co2 reactor. I've come up with the following concept...

The casing will be made of acrylic, and will containt 4 compartments. The first at the bottom will be where the CO2 is inserted. The water flowing upwards will force the CO2 through a sponge (I am thinking about two, the first being coarse and the second being ultra-fine), then up through the carbon filter, then again up through the bio filter, and out. The "circles" you see in between the compartments are lips as to maximize the amount of water/co2 that flows through the media.

img_520795_0_aaac967da7d669fd240084fbcc083c76.jpg

The contraption at the bottom is a power head - forgot to label it. I am wondering if this will really work?

I am open to suggestions!

PS: Please forgive the misspelling of sponge, it's been a long day!

Cool. I think it will work. Carbon is useless and could be argued harmfull to a high tech planted tank. I especially find your sponge idea interesting since it should be great for breaking up CO2 -- I think open celled foam would be best since it stays its shape and does not restrict flow much, but of course is not as good of a mechanical filter. If lips are to scale I think bigger is better. I prefer prefilters on powerheads because they are easier to clean than the impeller, but can see how one would be obtrusive in your design. Have you considered using a traditional reactor (only bioballs) for diffusion and water movement in a natural tank? Large weekly water changes with no specific mechanical media keeps particulates pretty low ime. Just thoughts. 0X

Kewl, thanks. I will definately keep your advice in mind when revising my plans. Nothing is set in stone yet.

Now just a quick follow up question. Would the carbon filter still be useless if I put fish in the tank? Or should I remove it altogether from my plans?

Carbon removes things that plants use, such as nitrogen compounds. It's counter-intuitive in a planted tank. They are considered very unnecessary in PTs.

Also, typically these designs have water flowing down, and co2 bubbling up, but I think with all the media it's passing through that's not a problem. What do you think about bioballs lowest, then the sponges? Seems that bioballs would break up the rougher/bigger bubbles.

Perhaps instead of a sponge (or just before) you might try Hagen Prefilter pad.It would serve much the same purpose and be less prone to cloging.

Alright, the carbon filter definately has to go in that case. I am also going to be "reversing" the design as to push the water downwards rather than upwards. I want it to be as efficient as possible. A prefilter is definately a good idea!

When I have an updated plan, I will post it!

Looks like a good idea to me, too, without the sponge (it will clog faster than you think and will create back pressure) and without the carbon. The bioballs should do a great job of breaking up the bubbles.

I recently toyed with a similar idea. How will you "open" the filter to change media?

Reversing the flow should be more efficient. However on advantage of the current design is that it is not susceptible to airlock.

Back
Top Bottom