Filter Consistently Clogging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DBradar3

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey there!

I've had this tank a couple years.
It's a 40 gallon with lava rocks, wood, live plants, sand, and fish (corydoras, otos, dwarf loaches, yoyo loaches, and tetras). All the fish are fine, the plants are generally fine as long as I keep them pruned. The problem is I can never manage the nitrate level. No matter what I do it stays extremely high. On top of that, my carbon filter clogs with dark green biological matter (which I'm assuming is algae) within one day of putting new filtration in and I'm wondering if the underlying issue is the carbon not being able to do its job because the water soon runs over the filtration medium due to the biological clog in the netting and never reaches the carbon.
I'm hoping a fix with the filter will help this ongoing issue.
The filter I have is Aquarium Master Model 55 Power Filter.
Do I need a different type, or is there something I can do about the algae clogging?

:thanks:

I'd go for an Aqua Clear 70 power filter. It will save you money in the long run (No cartridge replacements) and for maintenence, just squeeze out the filter sponge in a bucket of used tank water.

Back
Top Bottom