Filter for 75 gal new salt tank help every LFS say different

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barbtrave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm starting a new salt tank switching from fresh. I have an underground filter with two powerheads. I have been told to get rid of that and not use the underground at all because it collects bacteria then told to buy the eheim 2227 cannister wet dry filter with the underground plus a skimmer. I've been told to do live rock and skimmer and be done with it. I'm confused. I'm looking for the easiest and most successfull way. Any ideas?

Live rock and a skimmer is what I use. I also use carbon in my sump. I have no problems with my water and my tank seems to stay clean. I do water changes every 2 weeks.

I had bioballs in my overflow boxes before I made the standpipes and always had nitrates in the water. Now my nitrates always stay below 5.

What is a sump? How much water do you change out every 2 weeks? I was hoping to have a system that you did not have to change out constantly? What are standpipes and how do you make them. I do sound dumb don't I?

can you do that urself or do u have to order the aquarium that way? I was told at the lfs that it cost an extra 100$ to order one with the overflow box built in

Back
Top Bottom