filter for shellies tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 25 gallon tank with a bristlenose in it and soon there will be 4-6 N.brevis. Right now I have a Hydor prime 10 canister filter and an aquaclear mini. I'd like to replace both filters with one big HOB. Any suggestions for a filter that would keep the water really clean and wouldn't require an auxiliary filter? I do not want a canister filter.

I'm thinking something like a penguin 200. Unless you want more mechanical filtration, the only other filter I could think of is like a diatom filter, which you shouldn't need. Chemically clean is decided by the bacteria/plants/wc's, and mechanically is decided by the filter/media.

I was thinking aquaclear or penguin for sure, or marineland. I just want one that will be able to filter the whole tank efficiently, because the tank is deep, its not a long. Its a standard 25 gallon tank which means the water is like 20 inches deep. I dont plan to have any airstones or powerheads in the tank so I need a filter that will pick up water from the bottom of the tank and also disturb the surface water enough to oxygenate it. I know a canister would serve those purposes but I have a canister and I hate it. Too many tubes and stuff plus the flow coming out of it and going into it is soo slow, despite the whole filter being very clean.

Well, I believe the larger penguins have extensions for the intake, so you can get the water from lower in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom