Filter Help for a 2.5 G tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michaelg210

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, i have a 2.5 gallon tank and a betta fish.

Currently i am using the Tom Aquarium Products 1-5 gal Mini Internal Filter. I would say i love it, but am concerned it is too much for a 2.5 gal tank? Seem like my betta is getting a workout, even on the lowest setting and with the water difuser bar. I think it is stressing him out, even on the lowest setting.

I actually turned it off for the night so he can rest. However, I fear if I run it 24/7 I'll either end up with one, in-shape, ninja betta or one that is so wore out he won't survive.

Originally I tried the Tetra Whisper 3i In Tank Filter but i hated it, too long with the suction tube, had to run an air hose outside w/ check valve, flimsy design / construction, suction cups did not work well, and the motor kept trying to vibrate off the shelf, so i had to put the cord under the tank. NOT AN OPTION.

Any ideas?

Thanks...

mjg

Try an air operated box filter or just a tiny powerhead with a sponge attachment. Bettas need almost still water so your flow is probably stressing him out a bit. I would ultimately just spring for at least a 5g tank.

Welcome to AA!

Go with either a sponge filter as Crepe suggested or a small HOB filter. I believe Hagen make an AquaClear Mini that would do the job.

I think i am going to end up with the Red Sea Decoart Nano filter.

I did some checking could not seem to find a good, sponge filter, but wanted it cheap, also, prefer internal or at least not an air line running out of the tank to a pump.

anyway, think that's what i am gonna do and also upgrade to a 5.5G tank and keep the Tom filter for it. Then I can cycle one of the tanks...

need to look into bio balls for that portion later.

thanks all for your help.

bio balls?

Welcome to AA!

Go with either a sponge filter as Crepe suggested or a small HOB filter. I believe Hagen make an AquaClear Mini that would do the job.

Found that filter, it is the AquaClear 20 (formerly the 100)... mfg says reccommended for small tanks but good up to 20 gallons, has a flow rate of 100 gph.... i think that would be too strong for the tank...

I have since upgraded to a 5.5g tank... still using the Tom Mini Internal for 1 - 5 g tanks with flow rate of 40 gph...... if anything, it may be a little weak for the tank, but is working fine and the betta does well with it... even plays with the current a bit, which is fun to watch... sometimes surfs it.. lol....

anyway, I am cycling my tank with the fish.... long story, but now that i am learning, it seems to be working out and I don't have anyone i can loan the betta to while i do a fishless cycle...

Are bio balls or something along that line something i really need at this point.... have managed to keep the NO3 level down to 0 - .125 or so range with a minimum of 2x daily 50% water changes....

what do you think?

If your going to get the aquaclear then it already has bio filtration in it so bio balls won't matter. Just a standard filter for the 5 gal is fine IMO, plus I'm not even sure how you could adapt a filter to have bio balls per se because of the size.

well, i am not familiar with them so did not know for sure how they work, just looking for some type of media if it is even needed. Thanks

If your going to get the aquaclear then it already has bio filtration in it so bio balls won't matter. Just a standard filter for the 5 gal is fine IMO, plus I'm not even sure how you could adapt a filter to have bio balls per se because of the size.
boy me and my filtration issues:

Well, I now have a 5.5 G tank, still with a betta, and "cycling with fish" (I know, no chiding please, no alternatives)

Ok, so it turns out my Tom Aquarium Products Mini Internal Filter for 1 - 5 gallon aquariums is being discontinued, meaning, from the manufacturer, that " However, you should (??) still be able to find replacement cartridges on line" Like that "should" part....

Product is still recent enough I can return it, cause I ain't gonna start ordering "should-be-able-to" filters on line....

Am thinking of the
Elite Hush 5 Power Filter by Hagen
FT-A50

$11.95
* Dual filter cartride system
* Built in filter insert change indicator

Hush 5 (#A-5) For Aquariums up to 5 U.S. Gallons

* 190 L (50 U.S. Gal.)per hour
* cUL Approved
* 115 V
* 60 Hz

Does anyone have experience with these filters? I like the flow rate,
wish it were adjustible, though... again worrried about the effects of the
current on the betta.

Another consideration, since currently cycling with fish is, bio matter, specifically
is the cartridge or whatever bio matter adheres to well suited for this?

I know I post a lot of questions, but how else will I learn?

Last edited:
I don't know much about them but, 50gal/hr is good for a 5 gal. Believe it or not some bettas actually really enjoy some current as long as its not pressing them against the glass! I have a tetra wisper in my 5 gal for my betta and he goes bonkers in the current.

You can get a larger like Aquaclear 20 and just cut some of the fins off of the impeller, it drops the flow rate quite a bit. Plus they have an adjustable system as it is so you can play with a range. It's a common mod in the SW world to use the giant filter section to house heaters or algae on smaller tanks.
Good luck!

I have a split 5 gallon betta tank, and a Whisper internal filter on both sides. The bettas are fine with it because I got a piece of plastic mesh and tied it around with fishing line, so it limits the flow.

You can get a larger like Aquaclear 20 and just cut some of the fins off of the impeller, it drops the flow rate quite a bit. Plus they have an adjustable system as it is so you can play with a range. It's a common mod in the SW world to use the giant filter section to house heaters or algae on smaller tanks.
Good luck!
great idea, but that sounds like something i would probably screw up... i don't know what part the impeller is or how hard it is to get to, type of material, what to cut with, how much to cut, etc.... then i ruin a brand new filter and ..... well you know...

I have a split 5 gallon betta tank, and a Whisper internal filter on both sides. The bettas are fine with it because I got a piece of plastic mesh and tied it around with fishing line, so it limits the flow.
if it is a tetra filter, i had one and returned it for the Tom filter, did not like it at all.... not that i don't appreciate it....just hated that filter...

I have tanks ranging from 2.5 gallons to 75 gallons, and I use sponge filters as the sole filtration on two 2.5's, a 10, and a 30. They are cheap, extremely effective, and in your application...provide low amounts of water movement so your betta isn't stressed. From my experiences the mini or nano HOB power filters are a waste of time. The smallest HOB filter I will use is a Hagen Aquaclear 30, and I run that on a 10 gallon tank.

I have tanks ranging from 2.5 gallons to 75 gallons, and I use sponge filters as the sole filtration on two 2.5's, a 10, and a 30. They are cheap, extremely effective, and in your application...provide low amounts of water movement so your betta isn't stressed. From my experiences the mini or nano HOB power filters are a waste of time. The smallest HOB filter I will use is a Hagen Aquaclear 30, and I run that on a 10 gallon tank.
thank you, yes, rather disappointed in thier web site.. i have heard of Hagen Aquaclear 30. However even the 20 is too strong with a 100 gph flow.....definately won't work for the betta.... one of the local specialty shops said they sell the Hagen Marina Slim S10 Power Filter

however, while best i can tell it has adjustable flow, i cannot seem to find out what the gph is.. even after scouring the internet.... i even found the manual on line on there web site, as a pdf, no thru put info, which i had to search in spanish, cause only spanish and french were available.

it is indeed frustrating.... i am looking for 40 to 50 gph....

thank you, yes, rather disappointed in thier web site.. i have heard of Hagen Aquaclear 30. However even the 20 is too strong with a 100 gph flow.....definately won't work for the betta.... one of the local specialty shops said they sell the Hagen Marina Slim S10 Power Filter

however, while best i can tell it has adjustable flow, i cannot seem to find out what the gph is.. even after scouring the internet.... i even found the manual on line on there web site, as a pdf, no thru put info, which i had to search in spanish, cause only spanish and french were available.

it is indeed frustrating.... i am looking for 40 to 50 gph....

As I suggested in my previous post, I would stick with an air-powered sponge filter.

I have the same filter in my fry tank and u could try putting a different air pump on it. I did a little experiment and hooked up my tetra whisper 20 to it and it bubbled over a bit but it helped with suction a lot. I highly recommend a tetra whisper!

Back
Top Bottom