Filter help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamlo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi. I bought a new tank and have cycled it and have just added a few fancy goldfish. The tank is 24L and came with a filter as its a starter set. I'm currently unsure about the filter and the where the output tube goes. The tube with the black round end on it is just above the water surface and then rest of the filter is below the water level, is this right? I've positioned the filter on the back glass of the tank. Also the fish seem to move around the tank if they get in the bubble stream which is produced from the hole where the water is pumped back out from the filter. Could anyone tell me if the filter they use makes their fish move around alot? And if I need to do anything to adjust it? Thanks!

About the filter, i'm having a hard time associating what you're explaining. Possibly a picture with the full set? Also, what type of filtration is this?
Also, might i ask how many fancy goldfish did you add as 6gallons(24liters) is quite small for a single fancy as goldfish tend to be very messy fish, and fancy's can get big so they can get stunted.

It's http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/79961049@N06/7157404563/ .

This isn't my picture but its a pic of the filter I have.

Only difference is my tube is pointing up to the right.

I have 3 goldfish at the moment in there but I am going to upgrade the tank soon as they start growing.

I just want to know if the whole filter has to be submerged and just the tube is above the water surface and if there is anyway I can reduce the flow as my fish seem to get swept away in the filters output stream.

Thanks.

Way too many fish for a 6 gal. Even one would be too much. Goldfish are messy and need room. Plus your toxins are going to rise too quickly to keep on top of them. You may want to give this a read:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
and
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

I'd return the goldfish honestly unless you can upgrade to a much larger tank ASAP. A 6 gal isn't good for too much other than a single betta and/or some shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom