Filter Media and Natural Decor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishperson

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have two big questions. I am going to start a 20 gallon freshwater tank soon, and I was wondering if anyone has an opinion about putting a brick in the tank as a decoration. Also, are there any other natural looking decorations you would recommend? My second question is, if I went to my LFS, would they give me a use filter media that I can use to fishless-cycle my tank? Or would I have to buy it?
:thanks:

I like manzanita driftwood. it will leach tannins, but will go away with water changes. if your lfs would agree to give you some filter media to speed up cycling, do double check if their tanks are free from sick fish or dead fish, pretty much disease-free. also its ideal to get filter media from an already well established healthy tank, if thats the way you're aiming. if not, the regular fishless cycling from scratch would still be no problem.

I have two big questions. I am going to start a 20 gallon freshwater tank soon, and I was wondering if anyone has an opinion about putting a brick in the tank as a decoration. Also, are there any other natural looking decorations you would recommend? My second question is, if I went to my LFS, would they give me a use filter media that I can use to fishless-cycle my tank? Or would I have to buy it?
:thanks:

Hello Fish...

I don't think a brick is very natural, but maybe you have a different kind. You could get a little creative and attach plants like Anubias and Java fern to it with pieces of sewing thread. You should test something like that before you put it in the tank though. Just get some organic apple cider vinegar and put a few drops on it. If there's any kind of a reaction, then don't use it.

If you trust your local pet store and they don't mind, then a piece of used media from an established tank will definitely help you get the cycle started in your new tank. You can get some hardy fish like Guppies, Danios, White Clouds or Platys to cycle the tank too. You don't have to have the used media.

B

Driftwood is a good choice and there are several different kinds you can use. Also rocks, natural rocks that you can buy or go collect from rivers/streams and other such places. After collecting rocks they need to be scrubbed with a clean brush that has never had any soaps/chemicals used on it and some very hot water. Also before using them do the drop vinegar test as stated above on them. All my rocks, large and small have been collected and they give the tank a much more natural look. You can see some of them in if you click on the links to my tank at the bottom of the post.

My bad, when I said brick I meant something like this - Rakuten: 3 holes red brick- Shopping Japanese products from Japan
so the fish can swim in and out of it, it might look like a stream, where there might be bricks, ceramic pots, and other crap that people throw in there. Of course, I don't want to make it dirty or anything, but I just had the vision of a brick with the corner under the gravel, and fish swimming through it, and it looked great in my head. As for the LFS, should I ask them if I can have it, buy it, or borrow it. I mean, how should I ask them?
Sorry for all the questions, I am a noob to this!

Honestly the weight of that brick will displace alot of water and your tank is better with more water than a brick. I get what your saying but IMO it will really look out of place.

Umm... actually, minor correction, it doesn't matter how heavy something is, it just matters how much mass it has. And a brick would have the same mass as a brick-sized decoration. I heard that all you have to do is wash it (chemical free), soak it to see if it falls apart, and put a drop of vinegar on it. If it fizzes, it has calcium carbonate in it, which means it either has calcite or limestone, which will raise the ph level and add to the alkalinity of the water or something like that. I just want to know if that will work (the test described above).

Yes that test will work just fine and if it fizzes I wouldn't use it as you are correct it will raise the ph/alkalinity of the water.

driftwood and rocks are the way to go. There are so many cool rocks why use a brick?

I can't find any rocks that have holes in them for the fish to swim through. That is the kind of thing I was looking for. Do you have any specific suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom