Filter Media location/setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jd99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thinking about this for my filter set media setup, let me know what you think.

I have two cascade 1000's running on a 70 gal Aquarium. been thinking in the botom tray I put the normal white floss, and then the charcol bag:
Middle tray I put the white floss, and the Puigen bag:
Top tray I put the BIO Rings, and the Bio Sponge.

You guys have any pro's and cons to this setup something I don't need or need more of, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Charcoal is only used for removing meds you wont need it for daily filtering. I put my Purigen in the top tray with floss under it and in the middle tray a little floss to cover the bottom of the tray and fill it to the top with Bio rings the bottom tray I use a coarse sponge and fill it with floss. Hope this helps!

Charcoal is only used for removing meds you wont need it for daily filtering. I put my Purigen in the top tray with floss under it and in the middle tray a little floss to cover the bottom of the tray and fill it to the top with Bio rings the bottom tray I use a coarse sponge and fill it with floss. Hope this helps!
I was under the impression that you want the filter media on the bottom or start of the flow (lower trays in the cascade) and the BIO media at the end of the flow (top trays in the cascade) through the filter.

Is this true or am I wrong? (be the first time this year :lol:)

I'm currently towards the end of my cycle, and I want to make this a Discus tank, and I know they need the water fairly clean, thats why I was using the charcol (the LFS said I should use it for Discus).

I have the BIO rings and BIO Sponge, and floss already in the filters the only thing I don't have is the purigen yet. In another 2 weeks the life cycle for the charcol is done and I was going to rearange the trays at that time. Of course keeping everything that I already have cycled and established just a little rearangement as far as tray location.

Thanks Again.
Danny

The purigen will keep the watet cleaner than any charcoal and its rechargeable I was just offering to you my media setup that works well for my 90g planted community. I keep angels, rasborra, green corys, dwarf gouramis, and lightly planted my water is always clear and tests are all great.

I don't trust lfs people but have never raised discus. I was always told chatcoal was to remove meds I like to keep my rings in the middle so if I do need to medicate I don't have to disturb anything other than the top tray.

I don't trust lfs people but have never raised discus. I was always told chatcoal was to remove meds I like to keep my rings in the middle so if I do need to medicate I don't have to disturb anything other than the top tray.
Ahh Thanks currently my rings are in the middle.

I know about the folks at the LFS they are in the business of selling stuff so ya gotta take their advice with that in mind.. :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom