Filter Media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LizzyBeth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm currently running Aqueon hob filters with the activated carbon inside them. (I know these aren't the best filters ever, but they're what I've got).

I know that the carbon isn't all that necessary (unless you're trying to filter out medicines or the like), so I'm considering a diy sort of filter media.

I never really thought about filters/filter media, but the more I'm getting into the hobby, I realize it makes a difference.

I attached a picture of what it looks like looking into the top of one of the filters. So there's actually a decent amount of space inside where the filter media goes. It's supposed to slide into the blue thing (called a bio holster). And there's room slightly behind that too.

So I'm wondering what kind of filter media you all would suggest? I'm thinking some sort of filter media bag with some sort of filter pad inside. Any suggestions as to where one might buy these sort of things (good websites)? Preferred brands?

I'm leaning towards these basic filter bags (and I'll disregard the frame and the carbon).

Anyway, I'm new to the whole filter media concept, so any pointers/input would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

Attachments

• filter top view.jpg
    filter top view.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 155
That looks exactly like the model I used to have on my ten gallon. :)

Sponge media might work well. You can cut/shape it to the exact size you need to nicely fill the area vacated by your carbon cartridge.

Thanks. I was thinking buying bulk would work and cutting things to fit.

Another couple questions:

How does the mechanical filtration differ between sponge media, foam media, or simple pad media? Or are these all the same? :confused: Is one better than another? Are there advantages to keeping filter media (say a pad) inside a filter floss type bag?

Just wondering, as I don't have any other real experience with filter media other than those stupid cartridges they sell you and convince you to throw out every month. :nono: (Which I now know is bad-> as you don't want to throw out all your bacteria.)

I don't have enough experience with sponge, foam or pad media to be able to tell you how mechanical filtration differs between them.

I've never used a filter floss bag myself, so others may know more, but it's my understanding that the primary purpose is simply to contain the filter media and make it easier to remove and clean. If the filter media is 'loose', a bag will help in that respect. For something like a single piece of sponge, I don't think it would be necessary.

That said, the bags you referred to, without the carbon, would still function as a mechanical filter (as would sponge, or anything else that will trap solid particles).

On your filter, it is actually the blue piece in front that is designed to house the bacteria. Bacteria will also colonize your gravel, decorations, tank walls, the inside of the filter housing, pretty much any solid surface it can stick to (including the floss bag you're considering). Yes, this also includes the carbon cartridge, but by throwing it away, one wouldn't be throwing away all of the bacteria, just a portion. I am not encouraging you to stick with the carbon - just pointing this out.

Best!

I have 3 aqueons (one 50, two 55-75) and the cartridges are absolute junk. For someone who actually wants to run carbon in their tanks, theres barely even a teaspoon of carbon in them. The filter bag portion that holds the carbon falls apart very quickly & winds up having long strings the wind up everywhere & they do not hold up to regular swishing. So, my suggestion to save yourself both money and hassle, is to switch to using sponges (also called filter foam). You can fit them exactly to fill up all the 'empty' space in these filters and provide lots of housing for your bacteria to grow.

In respect to 'types' of filtration, theres chemical (such as carbon, purigen, etc), biological (your good bacteria) and mechanical (sponges, filter floss, pads, etc). Chemical fiiltration isnt necessary in a healthy tank unless you need to remove meds, etc. Biological filtration is a MUST and this needs to preserved to maintain a healthy tank (dont throw it away!). Mechanical filtration simply removes particles & debris- it isnt a 'must' but it does help keep a tank clean. The mechanical filtration aspect (sponges, pads, etc) though does provide the majority of the real estate for your good bacteria/biologic filtration- the more, the better! Please ask if you have any questions! :)

Make your own cartridges like... Do It Yourself Whisper Filter Cartridge - YouTube

If you do more than one layer of quilt batting on each side the cartridge will not fit in the blue holder. With this newly made cartridge, you can just rinse the cartridge and you should not need to replace the media for a while.

I have 3 aqueons (one 50, two 55-75) and the cartridges are absolute junk. For someone who actually wants to run carbon in their tanks, theres barely even a teaspoon of carbon in them. The filter bag portion that holds the carbon falls apart very quickly & winds up having long strings the wind up everywhere & they do not hold up to regular swishing. So, my suggestion to save yourself both money and hassle, is to switch to using sponges (also called filter foam). You can fit them exactly to fill up all the 'empty' space in these filters and provide lots of housing for your bacteria to grow.

Thanks guys. This helps a lot. :thanks: I did know about the types of filtration (mechanical, biological, and chemical), but I wasn't sure on how to go about setting up a new diy-type mechanical filter. Also, I wasn't really sure if there was a distinction between foam and sponge filters, so that helps too.

About the video, wouldn't the hot glue gun glue leach into the water? :confused:

I think I'll end up running some type of sponge filter (and maybe padding) in my Aqueon filters. It doesn't hurt to run a couple different types of media pads for the bacteria to grow on. Though I won't do it immediately as my tanks are still cycling and I don't want to disrupt the new bacteria growth (by throwing it out). I'll probably wedge it back in the 'empty' space once I acquire it.

Are there any specific types/brands of sponge media that you all prefer?

Thanks again guys! :)

No real preference. I have Aquaclear 70 (I think) sponges (filter foam) and some heftier filter foam for marineland canisters. You can leave the cartridge in until falls apart but add something to the empty space to start being seeded. See what works for you. :)

I did this today as a hopeful trial, cause like u I wanna save some money. inside the white "sack" I placed carbon cause I always used carbon filter n didn't know if I should keep doing it or not. if anyone has any suggestions I'm willing to listen I have a tetra something EX70 .. I can't really explain what the blue stuff was but its rough like almost like the sponge that u would use to clean the algae off glass I guess...
Anyway I wasn't planning on changing that sack of carbon,I was gonna keep rinsing it n the blu stuff also. unless it gets really bad then ill replace it.it's only 7$ for the blue stuff so that's cutting down my price by half :) if I stick with that plan. Let me know always stuck with the cartridge stuff so I hope this was a good plan lol

Oh also it's a 2 slot filter but I only sent pics of one side

Attachments

• image-264818598.jpg
    image-264818598.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 127
  • image-2337639326.jpg
    image-2337639326.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 94
Hi, try getting some polyfill(filter floss) in there. I am not familiar with that exact filter but this is how i would try and set it up. Personally i wouldn't use the Carbon, unless removing Med or odours. This is just my personal preference. For my small internals, i get some cheap, new ladies tights(panty hose) and cut them to size. You'll get the picture as i go on. Anyway, cut it up in sections. You will have a hole each end. Fill the section with the polyfil, now use cable tie's to secure each end. These can be made up to different sizes and for every type of filter. I would use a medium course sponge in there also. Have you got some bio-media for the filter??. Noddles, rings??. If not, buy some Seachem Matrix, great for your good bacteria. Finally and if possible, try and get a 100g bag of Seachem Purigen in there....
It's basically the same set-up as in gonzo's picture, medium course pad, then the floss(in tights, optional) then the purigen. The water should flow through the pad-->floss-->purigen-->tank. Result=crystal clear water....
I hope this makes sense!!!

Heh thanks I'm starting to not feel like such a noob. now only if I can find the plants I really like but that's off topic.. Anyway thanks for the advice about the carbon.. Too bad I picked up some after hearing about peoples opinion on it. o got the one that was for new tanks even though mine has been setup for awhile cause
It claimed to get rid of ammonia and what not.

But my water does seem clearer then normal so I'm happy:).. I thought I read somewhere carbon is alright cause it will hold the good bacteria .. But in the store I saw these "star" shaped stuff that was good for that atleast the packaged claimed.

Heh thanks I'm starting to not feel like such a noob. now only if I can find the plants I really like but that's off topic.. Anyway thanks for the advice about the carbon.. Too bad I picked up some after hearing about peoples opinion on it. o got the one that was for new tanks even though mine has been setup for awhile cause
It claimed to get rid of ammonia and what not.

But my water does seem clearer then normal so I'm happy:).. I thought I read somewhere carbon is alright cause it will hold the good bacteria .. But in the store I saw these "star" shaped stuff that was good for that atleast the packaged claimed.
Carbon is great for keeping water clear, it's just the cost of having to replace it. With the pads and floss, they can be rinsed in old tank water, so you don't lose the BB. Even if the BB lives on the carbon(??), there is no way to save that, when you have to dump it. Purigen will do as good or IMO a better job of cleaning and keeping the water crystal clear, also it can be 're-charged', so can be used again and again... Cheaper than running Carbon.
The Seachem Matrix(bio-media) is also brilliant at holding and growing BB on.. Look it up.

Carbon is great for keeping water clear, it's just the cost of having to replace it. With the pads and floss, they can be rinsed in old tank water, so you don't lose the BB. Even if the BB lives on the carbon(??), there is no way to save that, when you have to dump it. Purigen will do as good or IMO a better job of cleaning and keeping the water crystal clear, also it can be 're-charged', so can be used again and again... Cheaper than running Carbon.
The Seachem Matrix(bio-media) is also brilliant at holding and growing BB on.. Look it up.

Yeah ill look it up sounds good
Cause ur right carbon is expensive lol

Back
Top Bottom