Filter Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was looking around at filters and I can't really decide, what kind of filter would you buy for a 40g??

Depends on what kind you are looking for. Hang on back or a canister? If your looking for a hang on back i would suggest trying the aquaclear 50 or 70.. If canister i would suggest either the fluval 305 or eheim 2213

+1 I would suggest the aquaclear 70 for a hang on back style and the fluval 305 for canister type. You can't go wrong with either one in my opinion. I use them both myself. :)

Thanks guys!! I am still deciding on a hang on or canister. Hang ons are cheaper (atleast with some models) and canisters are more expensive but I don't have any experiences with Canisters as I only have a hang on.

Also HOBs get cleaned more then cannister, also something to think about

Also HOBs get cleaned more then cannister, also something to think about

I think I might go with the HOB just because its cheaper. I would love to have a canister but they are just so darn expensive. As of right now I just have the tank, I still have to buy the stand, heater, substrate, plants, driftwood, and fish so I would rather put my $ towards that. After all it's not like I can't upgrade in the future once I get it up and running.

I find the cleaning of the hob filter to be easier than the canister, not by much though, depends on which one. My fluval 305 is easy to clean but my fx5 is a bit of a beast to clean out. :)

I would go for the AC70 and not have to worry about filtration. Plus plenty of roomin hte media tray for whatever you want to put in it. :)

Back
Top Bottom