Filter Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

convict kid 24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a biowheel 200 and my first questio is how often do i need to change the media and how do i do it?

convict kid 24 said:
i have a biowheel 200 and my first questio is how often do i need to change the media and how do i do it?

As far as I know you don't replace the bio-wheel and you rinse your filter in old tank water during a water change then just put it back in place. You don't rinse your bio-wheel. You use your filter until its falling apart. Then you can replace it , take some of the old filter, cut some media and place it in the filter with the new cartridge to help seed it.

Make sense?

ok so i no i may sound it a little dumb but what do you mean i use my fillter until it is falling apart...... like the media is?

ok so i take a piece off the old media onto the new one so i dont have to cycle it again

and im think im getting a 100 gph aqueon filter for more fltration

The bacteria reside on the bio-wheel, which should not need replacing. At least not for a very long time. The other media, pads, etc. do need regular cleaning in dechlorinated water, and should be replaced when they are literally impossible to be used further, physically.

MrPillow is right. You should replace your filter media only when it is basically destroyed and useless. The bio-wheel should never have to be replaced. Filter media should only be cleaned when your filter is noticeably clogged or discharging dirty water. If it's not dirty, don't clean it. You might go a couple months between filter cleanings depending on your situation. You want to tamper with your filter media as little as possible so the beneficial bacteria doesn't have to re-grow after some of it was washed away.

Never clean all your filter media at the same time. For example, if you're using a sponge and nylon floss as your media and you notice that it needs cleaning, clean the sponge one week (while leaving the nylon floss alone), and clean the nylon floss two weeks later. That will help make sure you don't remove too much beneficial bacteria at one time.

Another thing to consider is the various types of media you could use. I have the same brand of filter that you do, so I know these filters come with "cartridges" that consist of filter pad and activated carbon. The reason your instructions are telling you to replace the cartridge every month is because of the activated carbon (and because they want a piece of your wallet). However, activated carbon isn't necessary unless you want to remove medication from your tank. I would suggest scrapping the filter cartridge all together and finding your own filter media. Use at least two different kinds, preferably one providing mainly "physical filtration" (removing visible debris from the water), and the other providing "biological filtration" (an ideal habitat for beneficial bacteria to grow).

In my bio-wheel 100 filter I'm using a bio sponge (provides both physical and biological filtration) and porous ceramic filter rings (mainly biological). My sponge will eventually fall apart and need replaced, but the ceramic rings only need rinsed every once in a while and might never need replaced. There are lots of different filter media options, so look for what will work best for you.

Back
Top Bottom