Filter Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ttrimbo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon cichlid tank stocked with about 15 cichlids (mbuna's peacocks) ranging from 1.5"-3.5" running about a year and I currently have two HOB filters on the tank and was looking at upgrading to a canister style filter. I dig all the feature of the new fluval fx4 but was wondering if the output current would be to much for all the guys in the tank? I don't have any powerheads in there right now either. Wondering if anyone has had an experience with the FX4 as of yet.

Any input would be helpful

in a 55g tank I wouldn't think the current would be overbearing , if you do find it to be more than you like you could add a ball cock on the outlet hose to control the water flow,

The new fx6 is pretty nice I know someone who uses it on a 60 gallon and an internal that puts out 400 gph wayyyy over kill but honestly aquatop makes a pretty decent canister filter my lfs switched from fluval to aquatop because fluval are so expensive, I have 2 aquaclear 110's on my 55 they work like a dream

Amazon shows the FX4 rated at 700GPH. Seems like a lot for a 55. Just modifying it with a spray bar should nerf it down to a comfortable level. The actual Fluval Spray Bar Kits are hard to come by but a piece of black PVC with some holes drilled and one end siliconed should work just fine.

Amazon shows the FX4 rated at 700GPH. Seems like a lot for a 55. Just modifying it with a spray bar should nerf it down to a comfortable level. The actual Fluval Spray Bar Kits are hard to come by but a piece of black PVC with some holes drilled and one end siliconed should work just fine.

Remember that the rated GPH is without media ;)

I know a lot of people love GPH..... but that filter seems very large to me for a 55...

I would get this filter and then upgrade my tank to something larger.... [emoji3]

I run 800 gph on my 55, its never a bad thing to go over your turnover rate unless the current is to strong for the fish in the tank. I run 14.5 turnover rate the minimum you want is 6, this coming from dozens of expert fish keepers, yes you can have to much but only if the current is to strong but you also can throttle them down with a restrictor

You don't have any additional powerheads. Mbuna and peacocks will enjoy more than less flow.
What's the stock? I'm curious to see pics when the tank has adults.

Back
Top Bottom