Filter slime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomasm87

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was cleaning my 10 gallon today was going to do a PWC and change the filter cartridge of my Marineland penguin 100b. Its been a week since i changed it. When i took it out i noticed a slime on the filter in the filter and on the biowheel. I rubbed it which i shouldn't have do cause then there was slime floating around in the tank. So i did a 50% water change twice to get the majority of it out and i cleaned out the filter as well. but while i was cleaning it i was wondering to myself should i be doing this? Maybe this is the biological filter ive been hearing of? Maybe its some sort of algae that needs to be cleaned?

Has anyone had some sort of slime in there filter system? Is it normal?

The slimes completely normal, I have a small amount on my penguin 200B, I usually just leave it because it doesn't seem to affect my tank. Just a suggestion and most people will agree, I usually don't change my filter cartridge for months, I simply rinse it in tank water during my PWC, changing the filter is expensive and destroys colonies of BB. But that's JMO

What is this slime? Some sort of algae? If left unattended will it get worse and spread threw the tank?

Back
Top Bottom