filter system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ididit1119

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got my tank and it came with a eheirm 2215 canister will this do for a saltwater swim only tank? What about a protein skimmer will this system do for me?

What size tank? I take it you mean fish-only, as in you do not intend to house invertebrates?

I would purchase ample live rock, use the canister as a chemical vessel (carbon, purigen, PO4 media, etc) and purchase a skimmer, especially if it is to be a predator tank. I take it this is not a reef-ready system as in not drilled for an overflow?

I bought this set up out the paper for a good price. The tank came with two canister system I am not sure why it had two and for the rest of what you had to say I didn't understand. What were you explain about using the canister for? Where will I put the skimmer all this stuff is suppose to go under the tank in the stand. as you can tell I am new to this all. Thank you for being patient with me!!!

Canister filters were originally designed to provide biological, mechanical, and chemical filtration; however, times have changed and primarily used for chemical media and added water flow. The chemical media I speak of in carbon and purigen traps organics and help water clarity. PO4 stands for Phosphate, which can fuel unwanted algae amongst other things and there are medias that can bind it. If your tank is not drilled for an overflow, i.e. no sump, then you would have to use a hang-on-back skimmer, which simply hangs on the back of your tank.

Here's a great place to gain alot of information: MarSetup2Index

Would you suggest to sale the two canisters for whatever I can and just buy the we/dry system? I have priced this system and for my size tank it is running 175 with the skimmer what would you suggest?

My suggestion would to be 1.5 lbs of LR per gallon and a skimmer. The LR and LS will provide wonderful biological filtration and the skimmer will help to remove DOC`s. To me the canisters are not needed except as James said to run GAC or purigen. You`ll also need some PH`s to move the water around.

Back
Top Bottom