Filter too strong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hyperman

Aquarium Advice Activist
We have a 29G high tank with a Aquaclear 70 filter. We have a tank of mixed tetras. Recently we lost all 3 of our neons and a rasbora. They we smaller fish and we found each one stuck to the filter. We have it on the lowest setting, but maybe we need to purchase larger ones? The fish that we lost were the smaller ones in the tank. Never saw them being picked on at all.

thats odd same thing happened to me with my neons a while back i dont think its too strong their coming from fast flowing was this in the morning? possibly they could have been nipped or rammed into at night ive seen goldfish do this to be sure check your water parameters their immune system couldve been a bit lower and they couldve been toxified

Thanks. I checked the water tonight and ammonia was 0 and nitrites are 0 and nitrates are between 5 and 10

The intake doesn't have a ton of sucking power, especially not on the lowest setting. Any healthy adult fish can swim out of it. I have a fluval C3, which is equivalent to the AC 50 (same motor), and I run it at full blast. I see my fish pass right by the intake all the time without issue.

I'd say either the fish died and ended up there, or the fish was weakened by disease or injury and got stuck on it. The only time I've ever had trouble with fish getting sucked up is with fry.

I agree that it is almost impossible for a healthy adult fish to get stuck in the filter. Even a weak one would probably die first. It could be that neons have been inbred to the point that many are doomed from birth. I've gotten some that were like that. They are generally a very hit-or-miss species.

Back
Top Bottom