Filter upgrade & additional stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KTpoopenstein

Aquarium Advice Freak
As it stands, I have a 15g column planted tank with a tetra whisper 20 filter. I was thinking of upgrading the filter to at least the whisper 30, possibly a 40 so that I can add a few more fish. I'm pretty much at capacity for my filter as it is with the following stock:

1 sunset platy (male)
1 peppered Cory
6 serpae tetra
5-6 nerite snails (en route...i ordered 5, they include an extra in case somebody doesn't make the trip)

I'd like to add at least a few more cories (corys?) since I know they're happiest in a shoal, and perhaps another platy or two since my one guy spends half his day chasing the tetras around.

So my questions are...
- would going with a 40 be excessive? I was leaning in that direction because I have a 30g tank in storage and was thinking I could move it to that one if/when I have the money to get it up and running again.
- as I understand it, cories will shoal with pretty much any other cories, but they're happiest with their own species...does the same apply for platys (and is that really true about cories)?
- would two (or more) male platys be ok with each other? I don't really want to deal with babies if I can avoid it.

um you could totally add more cories and platies like 2 female platies and 4 more cories i once had arround 60 plus platies, mollies, and guppies in a 15 planted tank because of breeding but no problems and the filter was a cascade 30 just make sure the filter fits and do your water changes

um you could totally add more cories and platies like 2 female platies and 4 more cories i once had arround 60 plus platies, mollies, and guppies in a 15 planted tank because of breeding but no problems and the filter was a cascade 30 just make sure the filter fits and do your water changes

The 40 should fit ok. I've got a good 2" of extra room for the filter I have so that should be plenty. From what I recall, there isn't too much of a size difference between the 20/30/40.

First question, is your tank cycled? If not don't add anymore fish until it's cycled (if you don't know about cycling I will gladly explain :)).

Definitely add more cories when you can, they will be much more comfortable. And I wouldn't increase your numbers by too much, and honestly mollies should have a minimum of 30g because of their activity level. Platies and mollies have huge bioloads, so stay on top of water changes.

First question, is your tank cycled? If not don't add anymore fish until it's cycled (if you don't know about cycling I will gladly explain :)).

Definitely add more cories when you can, they will be much more comfortable. And I wouldn't increase your numbers by too much, and honestly mollies should have a minimum of 30g because of their activity level. Platies and mollies have huge bioloads, so stay on top of water changes.

It's in the process. It was fully cycled but I ended up having to treat for a bacterial infection a couple months back and that killed pretty much all my BB and I ended up having to deal with a fish-in cycle. I've had some issues with keeping the pH stable (it kept dropping below 5) for a while but that has finally been addressed and things are progressing.

I was only thinking of adding one or two more platies, depending on whether I can find males or females. I assume males can coexist happily together? I'd rather not have to deal with babies if I can avoid it, but my guy needs at least one friend so he'll stop picking on the tetras!

It's in the process. It was fully cycled but I ended up having to treat for a bacterial infection a couple months back and that killed pretty much all my BB and I ended up having to deal with a fish-in cycle. I've had some issues with keeping the pH stable (it kept dropping below 5) for a while but that has finally been addressed and things are progressing.

I was only thinking of adding one or two more platies, depending on whether I can find males or females. I assume males can coexist happily together? I'd rather not have to deal with babies if I can avoid it, but my guy needs at least one friend so he'll stop picking on the tetras!

You should would be fine to add another one. You must have a rambunctious platy! I had a male and female platy and the male I had was very laid back. But then again maybe because there was a female in the tank lol. Honestly even if you got a female and as long as you didn't take any special measures for the fry to survive I would be willing to bet that nature would take its course with you having other fish in the tank. When I first started with my little 10g I cycled it with 2 platy's.

Back
Top Bottom