Filter without the Sponge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pairustwo

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm trying to cycle a new tank I've set up at work.
I sort of screwed up my fish-less cycle, I think. Basically I put my seed material in (I used a plant, a handful of gravel and a sponge that I had stuffed in the filter of my existing tank for a couple of weeks) a couple of hours before my ammonia and I'm not sure if the bacteria survived.

Anyway, I'm wondering If I could sneak the sponge out of my existing tank's filter and take it to work and wring it out into my new tank which has ammonia sitting in it, and then bring it back home and put back in the filter.

Would my fish suffer in the ten or so hours that the sponge was missing from the Aquaclear HOB filter? All that would be in the filter would be a bag of activated charcoal. My tank is not over stocked but it is close.

pairustwo

An easier method would be to use a small tupperware container, fill it partially with tank water, and then wring the established filter in that. Then all you have to do is take the container to work and not risk potential ammonia problems in your tank at home.

Depending on the other conditions when you transferred the seed material (ie kept it wet, above freezing, but below 100F), the bacteria will be fine. A couple hours will not make a difference.

It will only help the new tank if you do the above method so its worth the speedup IMO.

HTH

Brilliant!! Of course it its the water from the sponge I need not the sponge itself.
Thanks for pointing that out.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom