Filters for a 55 Gal Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mateo7833

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm wanting to set up a 55 gallon tank with a sponge filter and a HOB filter. My question iis what size filters should I get?

My first thought would be a AquaClear 110 runs up to 500 gallons per hour for a HOB.

I run a FX-5 which is old model, new model would be FX6 or FX4 easy to use canister filter.

Why a HOB and a sponge filter?

Have you ever looked into a Matten filter?

Literally just getting into fish keeping... I haven't even purchased anything yet, been doing a lot of research to try and start on the right foot... I was thinking the sponge filter for biological and the HOB for mechanical. Was also thinking of it as having that set up as a backup, or having a seasoned filter if I ever got another tank. The matten filter, looks interesting but looks like it's more, better if breeding, which is a couple of steps away from where I'm at at this point...

Well awesome job doing lots of research!!!

This article is a great resource to look back on and give you sound advice.
The main thing is to make sure to learn about the nitrification cycle.

And which fish you like the most and "build" your aquarium around them and their needs.

Some fish like high pH, some low, warm water, cool water, live in groups, live alone, etc.

Did you decide on which fish you want to keep yet?

Have a list of top favorites so far?

If not spend time going to fish stores noting what really interests you and catches your eye. And make notes of which fish you found and at which stores (in case you want to back for them later).

Some fish like fast moving clear water, and filtration needs would be different than fish which prefer slow moving "black" water. Mainly it relates to the environments which they come from in the wild, and how they feed, and live, even seasonally.

Are you the type of person who like the planning type phase of working on a project?

What sparked your interest in keeping an aquarium?

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/

I am, yes . really enjoying the planning stages...

My plan is to set up a 55 g planted aquarium, let that cycle for a month or so, see if I can successfully keep the plants alive and growing.

Then I want to start slow, get a school of tetras and see how that goes for a month or two and then go on from there adding a new species of community fish every couple of months or more depending on how things go...

I guess I really want the sponge filter so I have a ready source of bacteria if I end up getting another tank
I already know I'm getting a 10 gallon in addition to the 55 for quarantining

I am using Cory's top ten list of beginner fish (from Aquarium Co-op) as a template...

Oh yeah and it was a co worker that got me interested in fish keeping...

Back
Top Bottom