Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liquid_Pyro

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey, may seem like a silly question,

I currently have a HOB filter on my 40gal, but was planning on switching it with a canister,

if I hook up the canister and run it along side with my HOB with nothing in it but sponges, then after the 4 weeks remove the HOB and add the carbon, ammonia remover stuff to the canister is that okay?

i would just run it complete. after a month or two you can just take the hob off.

so add everything to the canister now and run both the HOB and canister, therefore doubling the "required" amount of water conditioners (ie. carbon ect.)? I was just hoping to get it started now as I know I cant make it out to petsmart for a week or so and thought I would get the canister partly ready

there is no such thing as required in tanks for the most part there always is 2-10 different ways to do things. carbon isnt a water conditioner and also isnt a must. i dont run a single filter with carbon in my tanks.

you can start it with out. the more area for bacteria the best.

If anything, add the bio media to the canister and run them side by side. Or transfer everything over to the canister now and run it alone. Carbon has limited uses IMO. Not something you need to run double (or even fulltime).

by water conditioners...i meant filter media...my bad,

what all do you have in your filters then? do i even technically need anything? other than sponges?

I would run both, but i was planning on reducing the noise by swapping the HOB with the canister

Technically, no. You don't even need sponges. Filter floss, ceramic media, carbon, etc. all serves the same purpose. Some just serve others as well. At least temporarily.

alright, that being said...what would you recommend to add in my canister I have what appears to be tons of room compared to my HOB, I have like three compartments.

I have a very basic tank, plastic plants and a few swordtails mollies and danios...

depends on your tank. like mine i just use sponges and floss. others just sponges and bio media.

With that stock, I'd say sponges, a little rock or ceramic, and filter floss once you have the canister established. You can add carbon if you need to remove a chemical or medicine from the water, but other than that you should be good.

Filter floss generally removes a smaller partical (measured in microns). You may read of filter floss "polishing the water". It does a very good job on small particulates. Sponges do a good job on the larger.

Alright, so then if I have only sponges and filter floss, maybe some amonia remover, how often do I have to open the canister to do anything to it? just rinse out sponges every now and then? add amonia remover if neccessary?

weekly water changes and I am set simple as that?

every month or two. just depends on how dirty it gets. i know people who wait 3-4 months or longer.

Alright, so then if I have only sponges and filter floss, maybe some amonia remover, how often do I have to open the canister to do anything to it? just rinse out sponges every now and then? add amonia remover if neccessary?

weekly water changes and I am set simple as that?

I woould not add an ammonia remover. That will impede a natural process that needs to take place. I try to clean our canisters once a month, but have gone longer (don't judge! lol). Rinsing the sponges in used or conditioned water is fine. You don't need to replace them unless they are falling apart. Weekly water changes will do more good than anything ever invented to add to a filter. :)

that sounds wicked simple then...just load the canister with sponges and filter floss...

Back
Top Bottom