Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Filter poll

• AQUACLEAR HANG-ON BACK FILTER

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • Aqueon Aquarium Power Filter

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Third better option?

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spartoecus

Aquarium Advice Regular
My filter came with the tank and it needs to go. It's rather noisy and takes a very long time to filter out the tank whenever there is a disturbance. (adding a plant)

Any recommendations for a good ten gallon filter?

Are there any reliable DIY filters?

Depending on your stock go with either an AC20 or AC30. I have never used anything smaller than an AC30 on a 10g tank.

Alternatively there are DIY options ranging from a simple sponge or box filter to a powerehead attachment of sorts. Or even a full on DIY wet/dry. But that's a bit of an overkill for a 10g tank.
Can't go wrong with the AquaClear30 though. ;)

I've used a number of different power filters through the years including Tetra, Marineland and now Hagen. I prefer the AquaClear because of the flexibility in the media options (I usually do without the carbon and add a second sponge). I currently use the AC20 on a 10g tank and the AC50 on a 29g tank. Most of my 10g tanks actually have sponge filters on them. They are relatively maintenance-free, great for raising fry and very inexpensive.

thanks for the input everyone.

i'd prefer a DIY just because it's fun and possibly cheaper but it looks like aquaclear is the way to go.

Is 100 gph really high? i'm looking for something pretty powerful. i've got aquasoil in there so it tends to get pretty cloudy when i clean the tank.

If it's a planted tank you could make a mini DIY canister. (if your into that sort of thing)

yeah definitely is. Any suggestions for something that's worked well in the past? I'll poke around on my own but if you have plans that work please pass them on.

also. What sites do you guys use to get your stuff. the one i've used in the past has a 35 dollar min.

if you want to go the DIY route, it really depends on a few things.

first, what do you have available on hand? any extra pumps or powerheads lying around? extra media (filter pads, poly fill, ceramic rings, bio balls, scrubbies, etc.)

next, and most important, how much do you want to spend?
there are tons of ways you could go with it. but basaically, if you have a powerhead, some nylon tubing, and a plastic container of sorts, you are well on your way to a diy filter.

if you want to go the DIY route, it really depends on a few things.

first, what do you have available on hand? any extra pumps or powerheads lying around? extra media (filter pads, poly fill, ceramic rings, bio balls, scrubbies, etc.)

i have none of that stuff. i was checking out powerheads and i might as well just get the aquaclear 20.

Is 100 gph really high? i'm looking for something pretty powerful. i've got aquasoil in there so it tends to get pretty cloudy when i clean the tank.

Not unless you are keeping betta ... I normally run a HOT Magnum on my 10 gal QT, that is 250 gph.

I think your best bet is the AC 30. Get a bigger filter than rated as the rating is rather optimistic. You will be lucky to get 50% of the rate flow when you fill the filter up with media & it is clogged with a bit of debris.

actually, even with media, the flow is pretty accurate thanks to the canister-esque design of the aquaclear HOBs. unlike cartridge style HOB's like the crappy marineland and whisper ones)

just picked up the ac20. man.

this thing is light years ahead of the filter i was using. my only concern is in the u joint there is an air pocket by the fan that i can't get rid of. it's like there isn't enough water pressure coming in to get it out of there. the whole time it's making a gurgling noise.

any suggestions?

ah i just needed to do a little research.

the sound was coming from the impeller. it sounds like its' gurgling and scratching all over the place. some people fixed this by putting prime or some other water conditioner in the impeller workings. i tried it out and it's a little bit more quiet.

i'll let it sit for a day or two to see if it develops a better coat.

I have never had one that didn't work out of the box.
Try turning it off. Emptying it. And restarting it.
Did you rinse all the dust and grit off of the bio-max before putting it in the filter?

Your best bet is to take it apart, and reassemble. Its probably something simple that got overlooked.

The impeller housing (black piece with the power chord) comes off. Twist the black box counter clockwise 1/2 turn. Then it will come out. From there you can pull out the impeller and see if anything got stuck in there.

sorry if it sounds complicated, but this filter is actually very simple to service once you've opened it a couple of times

I think you accidentally posted the wrong link, because rapids mini canisters are garbage.
Besides that, AquaClear HOB's basically are canisters. Only difference is they hang on the side of the tank. Except so does the one you posted. Lol.

Not to mention the AC20 has a larger media capacity and 20gph higher flow rate. (100gph vs. 80 on the rapids can)

Back
Top Bottom