Filtration andd current

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Theresa Barwell

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got my 55 gallon tank planted and stocked. I am thrilled with my new fish. I have 6 (sadly, I lost one of the original 7 to the stress of her relocation) Bosemani Rainbowfish, 9 cherry Barbs, 5 Oto Cats and three Tiger nirite snails. I also have one Anubias Coffeefolia, 3 Java Ferns, tall and dwarf hairgrass and some baby tears, a few rocks and Mopani wood. I am running a Fluval 305 and just added an Aqueon QuietFlow 50. I am wondering if this might be a bit too much current so I turned the flow down on the canister two notches. Can anyone provide some insight about the current? I have the return for the canister and the HOB on the same end of the tank. I also stuffed some extra floss behind the filter cartridge that came with the filter. :thanks: in advance.

Hard to say how much turbulence there is without observing. The best thing to do is to observe the fishes and see how they behave. I played around with flow from the filter and my two powerheads (I have a 70 gal tank) based on how the fishes did. With my initial setup I noticed that the fishes never went to one side of the tank. So I moved my powerheads around until I saw that they were able to swim around without being blown away. In terms of filtration, I think you're good, I'd even say you need it. See if you can reposition the returns of you feel the fish are being thrown around. Another indicator is the plants. A gentle sway is what you're looking for. If it feels like they're battling a hurricane, time to act :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I think I'm going to shut it off. I found an Oto stuck in the intake, dead. So sad. I love those little things. I turned it off this morning and all the fish went back over there.

Back
Top Bottom