Filtration On My 65gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Naw it's cool man Ian's probably right about the sand being kicked up I hooked up a circulator in my tank for about 5 minutes then realized it was a bad idea my tank got cloudy quick.

Naw it's cool man Ian's probably right about the sand being kicked up I hooked up a circulator in my tank for about 5 minutes then realized it was a bad idea my tank got cloudy quick.

It's not so much cloudy as its tiny particles floating around every where all the time. I'm thinking it may be caused from all the circulation happening in there. If it turns out (after tonight) that its clear tomorrow. Then what? I can't run my power head or air stones? Kind of sucks my fish really like them lol!

Aww thanks I do love my fish! Ammonia issue is indeed rectified! *touch wood* Still haven't figured out what caused it but its no longer an issue. It took me taking my tank down to 25% of water left in it. To resolve it but my readings are back to my likings. 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and .25 nitrates. Good enough for me :)
That's a relief!!!

I have a powerhead hooked up to my uv sterizer and I just bought a cheap powerhead and left it unplugged from the wall and used it as the outflow on the other side of the tank and pointed it straight across so I knew it wouldn't agitate the sand

I have a powerhead hooked up to my uv sterizer and I just bought a cheap powerhead and left it unplugged from the wall and used it as the outflow on the other side of the tank and pointed it straight across so I knew it wouldn't agitate the sand

I have mine pointed towards the glass (front of my tank) and upwards slightly. It's positioned closer to the top of my tank around 4" from the top. I have a 65gal tall tank. I figured it would be the best place for it?

What's the gph on the powerhead mines 240. You might be able to plug the end of the tubing and drill holes in it to make it a spraybar so the flow isn't so strong.

The box says 400? I bought this years ago on a recommendation of a breeder. I don't really know a lot about them. Other than my fish love to swim against the current. Especially my syno cat. Yes, I keep everything when it comes to my fish stuff all boxes, everything lol!

Attachments

• image-3455122655.jpg
    image-3455122655.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 58
Bed time for me, 5am over here!!. I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on tomorrow, hopefully it works or is at least an improvement. At least then, we'll be on the right road!!!

Good night Ian :) 5:00am!? Must work the nightshift? It's 9:53pm here. I'll be heading to bed myself shortly. Thank you for your input. We'll see tomorrow wont we? Sweet dreams!

Good night Ian :) 5:00am!? Must work the nightshift? It's 9:53pm here. I'll be heading to bed myself shortly. Thank you for your input. We'll see tomorrow wont we? Sweet dreams!
No work tomorrow, a weeks holidays:dance::dance::dance:
Take Care and i look forward to hearing, hopefully, good news tomorrow!!!!

Thanks I look forward to reporting only good things ;-). I have a feeling I'm going to be searching for more info on how to convert my power head into a spray bar. The particles have already started to look like they're settling.

Ok I apologize for not reading all the posts lol. I'm half a sleep lol.

I see the pictures and I have a few suggestions, turn off the bubbler and raise your water level a little more.

Reason? It may be micro bubbles and also the bubbler may be kicking up debris.

When I had a "messy" tank. I turned off the bubbler and within an hour things started to clear up, also I had "gunk" on my power heard that would jar loose every once and awhile and would spit it out and make even more of a mess.

I'd try those two things first. Don't go out buying a UV just yet. I'm willing to bet your not going to need it.

Also it may be a good idea to take your HOB's off completely and clean them out inside and out. You'd be surprised how much crap is still on the unit. I've changed out media several times and always wondered why the tank looked so bad after I turned them back on. It was debris in the actually filter unit that would kick it.

It's always good to clean the inside IMO. I've been doing one a month and its been fine. I never do both at the same time.

Hope this helps Mel :)

Hi Mel, I know there's a big time difference between us, but i'm itching to know. Please tell me some good news!!!!

Update* The tank still has some particles floating around but it has settled the majority of them big time. I think a valid point was brought up in suggesting cleaning out my hobs completely. Honestly, I have been afraid of removing them and giving them a good scrubbing since the last time it sent my levels wonky. Perhaps I will take things slow with that doing only one every month? Seeing the huge difference after shutting off the bubblers/power head I'm now torn on what to do. My catfish loves the power head (spends the majority of his time swimming the current) and the cichlids (most of them) play in the bubbles. If I move them (bubblers) away from the hobs and raise them higher above the substrate do you think they will still create the mess? Also what should I do with the power head now??

Update* The tank still has some particles floating around but it has settled the majority of them big time. I think a valid point was brought up in suggesting cleaning out my hobs completely. Honestly, I have been afraid of removing them and giving them a good scrubbing since the last time it sent my levels wonky. Perhaps I will take things slow with that doing only one every month? Seeing the huge difference after shutting off the bubblers/power head I'm now torn on what to do. My catfish loves the power head (spends the majority of his time swimming the current) and the cichlids (most of them) play in the bubbles. If I move them (bubblers) away from the hobs and raise them higher above the substrate do you think they will still create the mess? Also what should I do with the power head now??
IMO, to get to the bottom of cause, it is basically a trial and error scenario. As Convict said, give those hob's a good clean. As he said, do one a month and get as much floss in there as possible...
Trial and error is the best way to find the cause of the problem..
Try the bubbles without the powerhead and see does it stir up any particles--> if not then you then know it's the powerhead OR try the powerhead without the bubbles see if there is any particles... Do you get me??
This is something you could try now, literally!!!

Lol! I'm going to play with it right now! ;-) here goes the bubblers only..

I did bubbles only and moved them higher up seems to be better with the power head off. I then pulled off one hob and made a heck of a mess!! So now it's worse than it was before lol! I blame all of you! :p If your tanks weren't impeccable I wouldn't be striving to make mine perfect too! (Ok maybe I would) either way its back to the waiting game for this crap to clear up again lol! Who am I kidding .. You guys would laugh if you could see me I'm trying to catch all the "big chunks" with my net. I think I may have issues lol!

I say your next move should be to turn off your bubbler and wait and see. I bet you see a huge difference. I just have this gut feeling.

I have bubblers and power head off again and I'm breaking out the vacuum! I can't handle this! Maybe I have OCD or something but this is really driving me insane!! The fish are loving it though chasing all the crap around "sampling" every lil bit they can and even taking a shot at me every once in a while. "Big Blue" is a bully to me! Lol! He's probably sick of me messing with his tank all the time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom