Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dmw

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 200 gallon and a 125 gallon, been running API nexx filters on them and the water stays cloudy/murky I want to build a sump but have idea on the hole sizes, pump size or sump size I'd need to make it work properly and not have a giant mess on my hands, also I'm interested in a fluidized bed with k-1 but again don't really know where to start, so If anyone has some knowledge on this or some plans please help me out thanks, O my tank as of now has South American Cichlids in it, but wanna get my filtration down so I can get more advanced species like stingrays and maybe start a reef tank in the future

Thanks,
Derik

Imho fluidized beds are a waste of effort. Sure, they hold a ton of room for beneficial bacteria but unless you are having problems with too much ammonia or nitrite in the water then your current filters are handling the bio load already and they aren't going to solve your murkiness problem.

The first thing i'd try to fix it is to run filter floss in your filters. That will clear up most issues with water clarity that's not related to a bacterial or algae bloom.

Second, I'd try using purigen. It's an excellent additive to clarify water than can be regenerated rather than thrown out and replaced.

As for a sump, it's no small task to set one up. For choosing a plumbing size you can go with this link

Aquarium Plumbing Basics - Reef Aquarium

Go with the largest sump you can get your hands on and fit underneath your tank or wherever you want to cram it. This can be a smaller aquarium, it won't matter much. Just be sure to leave enough room to work in it.

A standpipe is also an important addition as it will reduce the amount of noise your plumbing makes by a large amount. A durso standpipe is my favorite and is outlined in the link I posted earlier.

I would also HIGHLY suggest going with drilling the tank rather than trying a hang on the back overflow.

Fluidised filters are excellent, but you need to add a fine filter chamber AFTER the fluidised bed to trap the dead bacterial floc that is shed from the fluidised chamber.

For best results, the fluidised bed should be filled to 40% with your selected media.

Back
Top Bottom