Fin nipping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NeonRaccoon

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 5 serpae tetras and 5 black phantom tetras and some other fish in a 29gallon tank. I was wonder how I can fix this problem of fin nipping the serpae tetras just chase themselves around and a lot of the other fish and their is noticeable damage. My tank is fully cycled and all my levels are fine. Any suggestions on how to fix this would be very helpful also I would be able to take them out if it came to that

Sorry, no suggestions for you but at one time I was thinking about stocking my tank with the same fish. The idea would be fish of similar size and shape but contrasting colors. Duly noted on the fin nipping.

You might have to get rid of your serpaes.

My parents had 6 in their tank with an angel, platies, and a gourami, and they terrorized the tank. So My parents gave them to me being as I have tiger barbs. The tiger barbs kind of included them in thier shoal, and keep them in check. I think you tho might just have to get rid of them. They seem to mee to just be red tiger barbs.

Ya I think I'll try to take them back but it has been longer than the 14 days petsmart give you to return them do you think they would still take them back? And I definitely advise not to get them unless you have other aggressive fish.

I have never returned a fish, so I cant speak to that, Im afraid...Threw luck and planning, all of my fish have been well suited to each other, with possible exception of my pictus cat...

They should still take the fish back but probably won't give you a refund. They might give you store credit to get another fish if you talk to a manager.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

serpae tetras are known to be fin nippers in small shoals the ONLY way to get them not to fin nip is to have a larger school! about 12+. this worked very well for me in my 55 with my angels and geos. i just loved them so much i had to keep them some how so i bought 18 when they were on sale!

I get the impression that serpaes are like tiger barbs(I have both), and need treated the same. My serpaes school with my tigers tho. Its really a pretty cool school.

We'll I just found my Dalmatian Molly dead when I came home today :( so I finally got rid of all the tetras black phantom and serpae and got some neon tetras so hopefully there will be no more fin nipping

I think I'm going to have to give my 6 Serpaes some special treats for being well behaved. I guess I dodged a major bullet with them. I have had them with 8 Neons and 8 Rummys in my 29g and they have never nipped fins. LOL Maybe they understood my warning about the great white porcelain reaper if they didn't behave. They were my very first fish when I set up this tank 18 months ago and all the others were added later. Still they behaved. Maybe because my tanks are heavily planted. ?? Not sure. OS.

Back
Top Bottom