fin rot on betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had some great success with Bettafix; granted I only used it in teeeny tiny amounts when my betta had a little bit of wear and tear on his caudal fin. A few drops, raised temp and some clean water later, it was good as new! But I agree with salt and heat over chemicals if possible.

Make sure you don't use the salt for more than 10 days.
Clean water is the best medicine! :)
You should start seeing regrowth in a few days, it will be clear around the frayed edges, then the betta color will come in.

Does the days you leave the salt in (but didn't do a pwc and added new salt) count?

On Monday night, I put him in a newly cycled 10 gallon tank, which also had api salt (only 3 teaspoons full for the whole 10 gallons), bwe, and IAL. Since then, I have not done any pwc or added any more salt (or anything else), except for feeding. I wanted to do a pwc, but because it was newly cycled, I didn't want to mess anything up.

Now there has been improvement, some regrowth that you describe in your post. It's clear around the parts that are regrowing. However, it's not fully healed at all.

My question is, when I do a pwc tomorrow (i do them every sunday), should I add salt again? It'll be a total of 6 days of having salt in his tank, but only applied twice (he had salt in his old tank for 1 day, and 5 days in his new tank come Sun). And should I be doing more pwc? Also, should I leave the temp at 82 or bring back down to 80?

Thanks for the help.

Salt does not evaporate, so if you don't do a bunch of water changes in a row, there will still be salt in the tank. Bettas can go into kidney failure with salt for more than 10 days, at any amount.

Back
Top Bottom