Finally, a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mab2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
I live in an apartment and have limited space. Right now I have a 10 gallon planted. After months of persistence, I think I have talked my wife into getting another tank. She is not into the hobby like I am, but she really likes the African dwarf frogs that I just got. Like I said it took awhile, but we have decided to get a 5 gallon for the bedroom. It may not be the 75 gallon I want but small steps. My stocking ideas for the tank are: 1 male betta, 2 African dwarf frogs, and maybe some shrimp. I have a medium sized fern in my 10 gallon that I think would be perfect for the new 5. My space is limited but I would also like a bottom feeder. I don't have any experience with snails and heard about how they can take over a tank. Also having problems deciding on a substrate, I like the black sand look, but will that work in a 5 gallon? Appreciate comments, suggestions or concerns with this setup.

Ghost shrimp make excellent scavengers and would fit your 5 gallon. If they survive your fish, you can look into Cherry Shrimp, too. I wouldn't suggest another fish--you're pretty much stocked, and some folks may recommend on one ADF with a betta in a 5 gallon since they tend to be messy.

Nerite snails are awesome, keep algae under control, and can't reproduce in freshwater. Mystery Snails are cool too, but count them as a fish as far as bioload...I wouldn't add one with 2 ADFs and a betta, but with a good filter and regular water changes, it may be doable.

Black sand would absolutely work if you like that look. I find the black sand, black background, with colored fish and green plants an awesome combination. :)

Thanks for the response. Do you think 4 is a good number for the shrimp? I will check into the nerite snail as well. Is it the ADF that is messy or is it the food they eat? I like the dark look with bright fish as well and I am going ahead with either black sand or gravel.

My betta decided that every shrimp i put in the tank with him was a tasty treat so watch out. The Nerite snails are cool little guys, so are ramshorn snails for that matter.

I'd start with 5 shrimp--one per gallon. If your betta doesn't decide they're a snack, they'll settle themselves how heavily stocked they want to be (I don't think my betta's eating shrimp, but they went from ten to three in a ten gallon--I have shrimp who like a lot of space).

I think the ADF messy is a combination--reptiles and amphibians poop more than fish of comparable size.

Ramshorns are neat little snails--I love how they look, and have a few who hitched a ride into my 55 gallon. The main downside to them, aside from that they reproduce like pond snails (An assassin snail can keep that from being an issue) is that they are the snails that will munch on your plants. That's the only reason I haven't put any effort into getting some of the nicer looking ones *lol*

5 it is then. Are these snails common ones you can find at the big Pet stores?
My local shop doesn't carry snails.

Also have a question with starting a new tank. If I take a few big stones I have from my established tank and put them in the new, would that be enough seeded material. Or would cutting a piece of my filter in my ten and letting it float in my new tank be better?

You can also run the filter that comes with the 5 gal on your 10g (along with the 10g filter)for a while to get it well seeded.

Letting it float won't help--put it in the filter. Or run it on the ten gallon for a while. :)

Petsmart carries the mystery snails--get a smaller one, and make sure they or you check to make sure it isn't dead--it should withdraw the trapdoor and not smell.

Ramshorns are harder to find, if that's what you're thinking--they're usually on plants as pest snails. My Petsmart lets me take their pest snails for free if I get the right person. :D

Very cool about the snail and filters. Already had a setback with the tank. I decided to go with a desktop 8 gallon tank. Started setting it up, got the sand and deco in there. Started filling it with water and it starts leaking all over my dresser. Talked to the store and they said to bring it back. Won't be able to get up there till Sunday, which is kind of a bummer. Had it all set up in my head and it is a big letdown when the equipment fails. Ah well, if it is one thing I learned with this hobby, is patience is a virtue. This is only my second tank, but is this a common occurrence for new tanks or did I get lucky and get the bad one out of the bunch?

It sounds like you got "lucky". That sucks that you need to wait. :(

That really sucks! I'd have to agree, sounds like you just got "lucky"!

It sounds like you got "lucky". That sucks that you need to wait. :(

Lucky me then, lol. Maybe I should buy a lotto ticket. Gonna give it another try again today. I am going to see if they will let me put some water in the new one because it is kinda of a far drive to the store.

Already had a setback with the tank. I decided to go with a desktop 8 gallon tank. Started setting it up, got the sand and deco in there. Started filling it with water and it starts leaking all over my dresser. Talked to the store and they said to bring it back. Won't be able to get up there till Sunday, which is kind of a bummer. Had it all set up in my head and it is a big letdown when the equipment fails.

I would advise that with every new tank, test it to see if it leaks before putting anything else in it. Put it in your tub and fill it up about 1/2 way or more to see if there are any leaks. If no leaks, then drain it and set it up where you intend to keep it.

Okay all set up. I will post some pics once I get my camera back. I couldn't run the new filter in the established tank because it is completely different. I just took both of my filters and rubbed them together. I also took my bio filter from my established tank and but it in the filter reservoir for the new tank. I think there is enough bacteria in my 10 gallon that it will be okay without the biofilter for a week or so. A few other things I did to speed the process is took a few large stones and a plant from the established tank and put it in the new tank.

Since I have an eight gallon can I up my shrimp count up to 8? Also I was thinking about getting different species, 4 ghost, 4 cherry. Would that work?

You can have more than 8 shrimp in an 8 gallon. I've heard of folks having 20+ cherry shrimp in a 5 gallon.

Ah...in that case, that sounds all right. You can probably up the number of cherry shrimp to 6, but that's a good number for ghost shrimp. They don't like to be crowded.

Back
Top Bottom