Finally Gonna go Saltwater - 29 Gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I buy by the case. In the case are four individually sealed bags. When I open a bag, I split it into two zip lock freezer bags. That way, the only salt that is getting exposed to the moisture in the air is the freezer bag I am currently using. May be overkill but it seems to me that putting it in a bucket would expose all of it to moisture each time I open the bucket. I am sure as much water as Carey makes, it would be an issue for her but since I am only doing 5 gal PWC per week it takes me a while to use it up.

I think that may be a good plan, since I am only gonna be doing water changes in a 29G, I wont need alot. Do like the idea of buying larger amounts at a better price and splitting it up like you do!

Received a couple things today.

img_1566269_0_ab19d127ff8685ea02c1365526417a49.jpg

img_1566269_1_eb1cf277d29a076560975560a94fc64c.jpg

Just gotta get a few more things and will be ready to start this project!

Got a couple more things for my build. My LFS matched the F&S price on the salt and got one of my Korolia 550's. Dealing with the seller to get the other PH that I paid for. Next is the RO/DI system and a trash can to put the RO/DI water in. Gonna be a little delay since I am replacing the carpet in my house with hardwood floors. Gonna have to move the 140G and 240G tanks to do it. Not quite sure how yet. Probably gonna have to put them both in one room then floor the other. Then move them again and floor the other. What a pain!

img_1576484_0_7a98a47cbf6aabb27942e2e3005496d4.jpg

img_1576484_1_56c13da0b547843b9f622a8a3121f9ca.jpg

Ya, I can't figure out a way not to move each tank twice. Gonna suck! Am looking forward to the new floors though. Getting rid of crappy carpet.

Looks like you're off to a good start, Tim. Looking forward to seeing this progress in to a reef. I'm very tempted to set up a reef myself (almost did a couple months back actually), you may just be the inspiration I need to go for it ;)

Question: In all my freshwater tanks I put eggcrate in the bottom of the tank before I put in the sand and rocks, so that the rocks dont sit directly on the bottom glass. Should I do this in saltwater also, or is that a bad thing? Also, got my second powerhead and my API master saltwater test kit yesterday. The time is getting closer and closer!

Looks like you're off to a good start, Tim. Looking forward to seeing this progress in to a reef. I'm very tempted to set up a reef myself (almost did a couple months back actually), you may just be the inspiration I need to go for it ;)

Ya, figured I have waited long enough. Now we will have a short delay since I am going to rip out my carpet and put in laminate flooring. Will wait until I get the flooring in before I set up this tank. Dont want to move it once its done!

The eggcrate is not a good idea in SW. You want your CUC or any sand sifting fish to be able to get through the sand bed. A lot of people put the rocks directly on the bottom of the tank prior to putting sand in. That way, if sand shifts or if you have a sand sifting fish the rocks wont topple and kill something or break the tank. Others, use small pieces of white PVC to support the rock off of the tank bottom. This still allows critters to go through the sand without disturbing the rock.

Thanks for the info. I havent seen anyone use eggcrate but I didnt know why. Makes perfect sense. Gonna be learning alot it looks like. Love this forum!

LOL See, there is always a different side to the story. I am pretty new here so I might believe kurtyboh over me but, before I do anything, I always want to know "Why?". LOL Lots of good people on this site and a ton of info to learn that is for sure. Kurtyboh, can you tell me why people recommend it? I am honestly curious. Those who told me not to had what seemed like a good argument but I would love to hear the other side of the story.

No reason other than to keep glass from cracking. Points on rocks create pressure points which can lead to a leak. You are still the primary cleaner in your tank and should be vaccuming the substrate manually, the sifters are there to help, if they cant make it to the bottom its not detrimental.

I am thinking I may leave it out and try to use flat bottom rocks for the base of the rock work and make sure there arent pressure points on the glass. It is only a 29 gallon, so I wont have a ton of weight on the glass.

Painted the back of the tank today. Went back and forth about blue or black and decided on black. I use black in my freshy tanks and like it better. Figure it will make the colors pop a little more.

All taped off

img_1586782_0_893e6b05c3fa6c5b87661d2b078cb265.jpg

And completed

img_1586782_1_a179f609f6c7e316fd4c5e550b39fef0.jpg

img_1586782_2_4e094c435f0bead70eeccfa3772fb2e1.jpg

Wow...I have walls that need to be painted and as experienced as I am, I never get it THAT smooth :)

AS for the floors, good luck with the move. I just had mine done and only had to move a 14 and 20 and that was hard enough. I didn't have kitchen counters for nearly a week until I could move them back.

You may have already figured it out but if they aren't already there, try and put felt pads on the bottom side of the stand..if you can. Don't want to scratch up the pretty new floors. Laminate is hard to scratch which is good but it doesn't like water. YOu may already have it planned but a moisture barrier under the stand and out for a little bit to give you an edge is going to be important. No matter how careful anyone is, eventually you are going to drip water doing a water change or some such :)

Back
Top Bottom