Finally starting!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khuligirl93

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so I'm finally starting on my project of converting my 10g to a planted tank! First, I plan on moving my few fish in there to my bigger tank. Then, I will drain all the water (saving 5gal of it in a bucket- hoping this will help with cycling). Then ill take out my ugly blue rocks. I have bought some organic potting soil, flora max, and some marine sand (is marine sand ok to use in freshwater tanks? It was the only kind I could find). I think I will put a small amount of soil in the places where I plan on having heavy root feeders (back and sides). Next, a 1 inch layer of the flora max, and finally sand on top. Do any more experienced aquarists out there have any advice before I start and mess something up?:) or should I return any of the things I got? I kept all the receipts just in case:) thank you for any guidance in advance!

image-764752231.jpg

Hi-
My advice would be to ditch the potting soil for the heavy root feeders. Potting soil can be extremely messy when trying to rescape or pull up plants. Instead, it would be far easier to buy a few root tabs to stick under the plants. If you're cheap like me you could do DIY root tabs using osmocote plant granules. Also, the marine sand is fine as long as it doesn't contain marine bacteria. But- I would not use it because eventually the sand will sink beneath the larger granules of the floramax. So I would do only floramax in the tank. I only use floramax and it works wonderfully in my high tech set up.

Hmm. Yes I have heard it can be messy but I have also heard it makes a more nutritious substrate. I really love the look of sand though :(

I have several dirted tanks, my largest being a 220g 100% planted. The only time dirt can get messy is if you put in crypts and swords and decide down the road you want to move them. BUT it can be done quite easily and if you keep some extra cap substrate (whatever you decide to use) all you need to do is let the dirt settle and then sprinkle alittle cap substrate over any messy areas. I just removed two huge Amazon swords from the 220g and it really didn't make much of a mess. I let the water settle and then put my cap substrate over the area mostly to fill the hole. In a 10g you wouldn't be wanting to use any swords anyway. You can always use the dirt and get some pool filter sand or many use blasting sand which are both safe. I would not use the sand for SW.

Ok maybe since I have a small tank and this us my first planted setup ill just stay simple and stick with the flora max. Maybe someday ill save up enough money to plant my 36 gallon and do dirt and sand :)

image-3784889698.jpg
I found out its a lot harder to arrange the DW than I thought! I gave up on getting my DW from the stream to sink, so I got that larger piece there from petco which is holding the smaller pieces down. I also tied them together with jute twine. Right now I am just waiting fit the tank to re-cycle, hopefully won't be too long since the filter media is old and the DW from petco was in their tanks for who knows how long.
Also I have found just from looking around at both petsmart and petco, they do not have a very large variety of plants! Mostly just dying anubias, java ferns and anacharis.

So today I got a T8 6700k 15w life-glo bulb. I was told by the LFS worker that CFLs would not fit in my hood and that this would be the best thing for what can fit in my hood. Is this true/ will this be sufficient light?
I also purchased some amazon swords, ludwiga and 3 sprouts of some type of small sparse grass- vallisneria? The guy said these should do well with my substrate and light. I also have root tabs.
I am planning on supplementing CO2 as well, but I don't have it yet. The guy told me the plants should be fine and will help the tank cycle. True or not true?

Wow.. Just realized this is the same as the one I have already. T8, 15watt. Only difference is mine is 8000k and this one is 6700. Well, guess that's going back to the store!

If you want to upgrade your lighting you'll have to get a new fixture like a T5HO or one of the newer LED fixtures.

And plants do aid in cycling. Plants use both ammonia and nitrates.

Ok, thanks. I will look into some t5HO lighting then! Do they come with the ballasts that are only two prongs? I need something that can fit into my hood.

image-3281992442.jpg

image-865219478.jpg

image-1956163699.jpg

image-1840909742.jpg

What does everyone think? I got the anubias today and it is rubber banded to my DW. I also got those 2 rocks from my yard, I'm fairly sure they're limestone. I'm not quite sure if I like them stacked like that.. Suggestions?
I'm hoping the ludwiga will thicken up when I get my new light and CO2 set up.

Planning on pressurized paintball tank setup. Just waiting for my paycheck to come so I can order a regulator! Should be within a few days that I can order it.. When it will be delivered I'm not sure of.

You can't fit them into your hood. Look them up and you'll see they come with legs so you won't use your hood.

Your looking at bulbs and I'm talking about an entire new fixture. That bulb isn't for a FW planted tank and it's for metal halide lighting. This is what I am talking about... Aquatic Life

Oooh I see. Wow that looks like a lot more money than I was intending to spend. Thanks for the advice!

Would my plants (amazon sword, ludwiga, Dwarf sag, and anubias) grow well under only my 15w flourescent with addition of pressurized CO2?

I would be concerned that if your rocks are in fact limestone you may see some impact on your tank parameters. (i.e. increasing ph)

Ok thank you for letting me know :) I have had problems with keeping mystery snails alive due to degrading shell health, which is why I purposely put limestone in there in hopes that it would add some calcium- but I will keep an eye on that!
Also I have some DW, so maybe the acidifying effect of that will cancel out the effect of the limestone?

Back
Top Bottom