First ADULT Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spenny

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello AA members,
I have just bought my first tank after being out of the game for 10 years or so. That was back when I was a kid and my parents usually took care of the water changes and it was nothing more then two angelfish. Luckily, I came across this site, and it has helped me get up to speed with all this.

First off, I will start with the tank. It's a 25gal tank that I bought of kijiji from someone who was just getting out of the hobby. The tank had been used previously as a fry tank for some cichlids. When I picked it up, there was no fry inside, but a full tank of water. Heater, filter, and a water pump all were running, although I don't know if its because I was coming to buy it or not. The tank was very clean, as well as the water. So we emptied out most of the water, leaving about a 1/6th of the tank full with that water. It has a large piece of driftwood, with two live plants firmly established. The original gravel was also left in, as well as plastic plants and rocks. The filter is an aquaclear 50, a maxijet 400 moving some water, and an unknown heater. The tank dimensions are as follows 31in across the front, 11.8in deep, and 14.5in tall. The tank also came with a Hawkeye 201 air pump and a clear white plastic box with a clear hose coming out and a spot where the plastic tube from the hawkeye fits. I don't know what this is called or used for, can someone please help me out?
Theres a few more questions I have. Do I need to do a full cycle even though the tank was already set up and I changed roughly 80% of the water? My goal is to have a community tank, is that possible with this setup? Any suggestions as to what type of fish I should get? I don't want anything that requires a ton of work, but I am not naive enough to think this won't take some effort. I would like a beautiful, cooperative mix of fish for this tank.
I think that is about it, but I'm sure I will continue to learn from just snooping around. I appreciate the help in advance!

Thanks
Spenny

i would say fill it back up and give it a day or two and get the water tested. i dont think you will need to wait but just to be safe thats what i would do. as for fish as long as you dont want anything that gets big like oscars and that type anything will be fine i would think.. as long as you dont over stock it

Welcome to Aquarium Advice! What about some nice Platies or Guppies? They are beautiful, active and colorful fish!

Back
Top Bottom