First Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cnaugh

Aquarium Advice Regular
Going to the neighboring city to buy my first two corals today. My 75 gallon has been up and running for three months now and the water parameters are spot on. I have the Coralife Lunar power compacts so softies and some LPS are all I can get. I do have a bulb nem for our clown and he is doing great. Any suggestions for our first. My son and I are leaning towards a toadstool and pumping Xenia.

Hate to tell you this, but to prevent major problems, you're probably best off trading the nem back in. First, they require extremely high light, in many cases more than most SPS corals. Also, it's recommended that nems aren't added to a tank until it's well established, typically at least a year old or better.
In most cases, the nem will look just fine right up until the day it dies. When it does, it can release toxins into the tank that cause some serious havoc....

I would lean toward a bubble coral and a thin finger leather. These are two good hardy starters.

I would lean toward a bubble coral and a thin finger leather. These are two good hardy starters.

I have thought about both. I guess it's time to just see what they have.

Hate to tell you this, but to prevent major problems, you're probably best off trading the nem back in. First, they require extremely high light, in many cases more than most SPS corals. Also, it's recommended that nems aren't added to a tank until it's well established, typically at least a year old or better.
In most cases, the nem will look just fine right up until the day it dies. When it does, it can release toxins into the tank that cause some serious havoc....

I agree with what you have said. This isn't my first reef, nor my first bulb, and I admit it was a serious rookie impulse buy in an effort to show my kids the host relationship with the clown.

It seems to be doing fine, I don't have the option to trade it, and I'm currently shopping LEDs. All I can do is hope at this point. Thanks for your input.

I`ve only ever had one bubble coral that I got 15 yrs ago and it`s still alive. Just for viewing purposes.

15 yrs ago
fish_005.jpg

Now
100_1964.JPG

Very nice!!!!

Well, after all that, what did I choose???!!!!!

The JBJ Auto Top Off!!!! Lol

Nothing in the store I just HAD TO HAVE so I decided to attempt to make my life easier! Hey, I get paid again next week! Lol

Back
Top Bottom