First CPDs!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khuligirl93

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got my first celestial pearl danios yesterday at a local fish store that I love. They only had a few of them left, 4 healthy and 1 that looked on the verge of death it's stomach was so sunken in. They were $9 each so I reluctantly paid $36 for 4 of them.. And the guy gave me the dying one for free! How generous of him;)
Well, after being in my extremely heavily planted 10g tank for about 24 hours, the 4 seem to be doing wonderfully. They colored up and it looks like I got 2m 2f. The sick one doesn't seem to have gotten worse or better. It just lays on a leaf most of the time but can still muster the strength to swim if it absolutely has to. I've tried feeding frozen BBS and daphnia, it won't eat anything even though the other 4 eat enthusiastically. I'm thinking I'll probably lose him :/ oh well I guess I got what I paid for!
I'm excited to have finally found these beautiful gems, and I hope to add more to the school when I find them again:)

Nice! I had 7 now 6 after I gassed one.
They were shy at first but now they know me. They go into a feeding frenzy... I think I have 2 males and 4 f. I saw 2 males flare their fins at each other. They are much more colorful as well. I feed them frozen blood worms and hikari mini sinking pellets.

Awesome! They can fit the bloodworms in their mouths? Seems like they'd be too big!
Mine are pretty shy right now but I'm sure they'll start recognizing that I mean food soon :)
What size tank and other fish do you have them with?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399159915.789007.jpg
Here's the dying one. He's easy to photograph because he doesn't move much, but I can't get a good picture of the others because they're so active.

She looks sick. I hope it's not an infectious disease that could spread.
I have a 4.6 gallon high tech nano that's overstocked at the moment.

6 CPDs
4 neon tetras
6 RCS
1 Otto

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399160286.850425.jpg

They are awesome fish. Got 10 in my 20g and about a dozen 6 week old cpd fry growing out in my shrimp tank. My adults are pretty shy. Do a lot of hiding. Feed them ground up flake feed. Will eat bloodworms only if chopped up in tiny pieces. Never come up to top of tank to feed.

There's 2 endlers, 4 kuhli loaches, a couple ottos, and some cherry shrimp with them at the moment.
Your tank looks nice!

Did they spawn in your display tank or did you set up a breeding tank?

Mine bred totally by accident. Had the cpds in a ten with some shrimp. Moved the adults out to make it a just a shrimp only tank. Few days later was surprised with babies. Found out later that cpds are notorious egg eaters. Must have moved the adults out soon after they spawned. They probably have been spawning before and just eating the eggs. Def a pleasent fun surprise.

I lost a few like this, wasting it seemed.. Had one come back briefly only to die a couple weeks later..

One of my adults i just noticed suddenly had a wierd shape to him that wasn't there before. Is that what you mean by kinked spine? Just noticed this week. Been hanging by himself at top of tank

It's spine seems normal, it's stomach is just caved in. Poor guy died tonight.

They're extremely difficult to photograph with just an iPhone camera, but here's 3 of them.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399310889.038301.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399310889.038301.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 85
They'll swim to the front of the tank, but when I lift my camera up they swim and hide in the back!

I don't know why people say these little guys are timid, mine are very bold now that they've settled in! Whenever I come close to the tank they all come up to the front and swim back and forth as if they're saying "feed me! Feed me!"

Back
Top Bottom