First planted: My 75g Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay so I'll top my medications with a salt treatment! I have been doing 4 tablespoons for the whole tank (1 per 5 gallons)

Hope he comes out okay

Caleb

I would water change to remove some of the regular salt then go the Epsom salt route.

Okay I stopped the salt treatment when I got my meds. I'm pretty sure we have a bag of Epsom salt around here.

Recommended dosing? 1tbs per gallon or 5 like with AQ salt?

Caleb

The salt was too much for him :( he passed instantly. The other 3 are still looking better.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436737352.258957.jpg

Caleb

Sorry to hear this.
Watch the others as 4tablespoons is upper range of dosing I believe.
Many different sources saying 1-2 tablespoon per 10g.
So keep an eye on them and change 50% tomorrow eitherway,and do not add more.
There is nothing else in the Epsom salt right?
Like fragrance...
I didn't see any indication of anything else on label but just make sure.

Checked the bag, looks to be just pure salt.

It's a 20g quarantine so I think I'm right on the money. Will do water change tommorow.

Caleb

Im sorry to hear of the loss caleb. How are the other 3 doing?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They are looking great and starving to eat some breakfast like me lol

I can't see any visible white patches any more and their colors are vibrant!

The only thing is I have hit a roadblock:

Columnaris is like ich from my understanding- it floats until it finds a host. (For like 32 days or something)

One problem: I still have a lone cherry barb and ropefish left in the DT. I don't want to add my healthy discus back only for them to catch it again or for my ropefish to catch the disease.

It's my fault for not quarantining him in the first place.

Caleb

Don't let the one fish that died bring you way down and discourage you, it was just bad luck. Really sorry to hear about him but I guess things like that happen. Glad to hear the others are still eating though.

Are the barb or the ropefish showing any sign of illness?

Don't let the one fish that died bring you way down and discourage you, it was just bad luck. Really sorry to hear about him but I guess things like that happen. Glad to hear the others are still eating though.

Thanks Nils I'm not letting it get me down.

Caleb

You can always treat them as well. Do a filter clean out/sterilization. and a 90% WC. or keep the discus in QT for the remaining life cycle on the cholumnaris bacteria. Its a gram negative bacteria i believe.

You can always treat them as well. Do a filter clean out/sterilization. and a 90% WC. or keep the discus in QT for the remaining life cycle on the cholumnaris bacteria. Its a gram negative bacteria i believe.

I'd need more meds. Think I'll just keep them in QT and wait it out

Caleb

Sorry to hear about the discus bro, get another cobalt as a replacement :D

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hate to hear it Caleb. You got this though, I can't wait to see this 75 in six months. Keep up all the good work.

+1 you got this under control now. sometimes one just doesnt take to the medication, or the abrupt changes. Anything else ya need, just holla.

Back
Top Bottom