First planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Owl307

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, I thoughtI'd try my hand with a planted tank.But I think I may have made some mistakes. :facepalm: Ok first- I'm a beginer with all this so I have no co2 setup. I would eventually like one though. Second- I have flourite clay based plant gravel mixed with some black gravel. 3rd- lighting. I don't know what this lighting would be considered so I just grabbed some plants and hoped they would make it... :ermm: Thats my mistake I beleive :whistle:... Ok I have 3 39watt T5 6500k day light tubes, along with blue LED lights. The time squedual goes like this ( its on a timer )- The first light turns on at 6am and turns off at 6pm. Then the other 2 lights turn on at 9am and turn off at 8pm, and finlly the LEDs turn on at 7pm, and turn off at 9pm. I beleive my lighting is too high, but not sure. The plants I bought, and hope will live are- micro sword, come vals ( corkscrew I beleive ) anubias nana, and amozon sword. In the tank there is also drift wood and some river rocks. And finally the fish- 3 angels, a school of cories, and some plecos. The angels will be moved, or at least two of them will because they have formed a pair. This is a 40g tank. My questions- what times do you suggest the lights turn on and off, what catagoery lighting would this be considered, have I made any mitakes?, and what can I do to fix them.. Also what would you recomend for fertalizer, and plants that will work with my lighting? Thanks in advance- Melani :)

Hi im pretty new to the planted tank aswell but by the sounds of it you may have to much light for too long 3 39 watts is massive Which can cause problem with algae outcompeting the plants unless you have alot of plants in the tank to out compete the algae. I have a blue light in my tank but read on a thread that they can cause algae not sure how or why and havent confirmed if its true or not as for the led its not necessary your t5s will out perform it by a mile leds are are just not on par with the other types in a freshwater planted so if anything i would not use them at all a planted tank should get 8to 10hours of light a day so you can probably time it around when youll be around to enjoy it as for co2 you can make one quite easily and cheaply probaly for abot 10 or 15 bucks just search diy co2. Seachem make a good fertilizer which you can dose every day or weekly.

Thank you for your reply, I will change the lighting times today, also thanks for the tips on the DIY co2! I will have to go check it out. I will check my lfs for fertilizer too, thanks again,
Melani

Back
Top Bottom