First salt tank (Peacock mantis shrimp)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Things are starting to come together. I currently have 30lbs of seeded live rock and about an inch of live sand substrate on the bottom. How much dry rock and sand should I buy? And is there is a specific kind of dry rock or brand of sand I should be getting? And how long will it take for the dry rock to become live/seeded? I was also wondering if crushed coral would make a good substrate

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I took this last night but it looked pretty clear this morning

Attachments

• 1414346357243.jpg
    1414346357243.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 98
For a mantis I'd do a more large single island type of scape to give it a good place to construct it's home, or build it around a PVC tunnel and hope it chooses that. Maybe a large island that takes up roughly 2/3 of the tank on one side and some smaller rocks on the other for more coral or macros and to break up the look a little.

like red said 1 big island really giving him a place to hide
and with a touch of macros on the other end between smaller rocks I can already see it
I love it !

I'll take your advice and re arrange the LR tonight... But what should I use as a substrate? Right now I only have an inch of live sand

I'll take your advice and re arrange the LR tonight... But what should I use as a substrate? Right now I only have an inch of live sand

Whatever is recommended for the species you're getting. Some need more some not so much.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me.

Ok. But umm.. I made a bit of a noob mistake. I was so anxious to get the tank cycled I filled it up with water but I only have an inch of substrate. Is there a way to add sand to a filled aquarium? Or should I just empty it and add the sand.

You can use a piece of pvc to guide it to where you want it. Or just dump it in and run some filter floss to clear it up.

Can I just shove the loose floss into my Hob? Or should it be in a media bag?

And my tanks Salinity is 32 right now... Is that too low?

And would this be a good substrate?

Attachments

• 1414528325601.jpg
    1414528325601.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 65
Would the mantis prefer a fine or coarse substrate?

you can toss loose floss into the hob yes, by 32 salinity do you mean 1.032? because if so that is high.

I think that a mantis would prefere a nice mix of fine and coarse, or rather not to extreme of either.

Quick quesion

Are the bio tubes/noodles benfificial in saltwater? I got some with my hob so I was wondering if i should use them

Back
Top Bottom