First Tank - Stocking 46g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nomadman2003

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'd like to get people's opinions on stocking a new 46g tank (36x15x20h) I'm thinking about getting. This is my first tank so any opinions on my choices is appreciated.

5 - Boeseman's Rainbow Fish (2m + 3f)
4 - Kulhi Loaches
3 - Bamboo Shrimp

I was originally trying to squeeze in some cardinal or neon tetra or some painted platies, but didn't think I had room.

The tank has 2 30g HOBs and a 250GPH power head (Ive read rainbows and the shrimp enjoy it).

Not have the experience to know, this seems like the tank will look empty since there are only a dozen critters in such a large space. What are peoples thought on this? I am not COMPLETELY married to the line-up, something like 20 tetra could be subbed for the rainbows if that helps it look more full... what do you think?

Thanks in advance, this forum has been such a great help in getting my confidence high enough to actually do all this.

:fish1: Robert :fish1:

I'd like to get people's opinions on stocking a new 46g tank (36x15x20h) I'm thinking about getting. This is my first tank so any opinions on my choices is appreciated.

5 - Boeseman's Rainbow Fish (2m + 3f)
4 - Kulhi Loaches
3 - Bamboo Shrimp

I was originally trying to squeeze in some cardinal or neon tetra or some painted platies, but didn't think I had room.

The tank has 2 30g HOBs and a 250GPH power head (Ive read rainbows and the shrimp enjoy it).

Not have the experience to know, this seems like the tank will look empty since there are only a dozen critters in such a large space. What are peoples thought on this? I am not COMPLETELY married to the line-up, something like 20 tetra could be subbed for the rainbows if that helps it look more full... what do you think?

Thanks in advance, this forum has been such a great help in getting my confidence high enough to actually do all this.

:fish1: Robert :fish1:

Hi! Your stocking so far is fine and you still have a good amount of room. You could definitely add a large school of Neon or Cardinal Tetras (10) if you wanted and you'd still have some room left.

There's a link in my signature: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium. Give it a read if you haven't already, it'll tell give you a lot of info on properly setting up and cycling your first tank. Good luck!

Thanks, I will definitely give it a read. In between my post and yours I learned of AqAdvisor, seems like a cool tool. Does it tend to do a pretty good job for stocking? I plugged in my list above and it said I was at like 2/3 capacity, that's kind of exciting. I thought it sounded bare, but the 1" rule was full, that's how I got to that list.

I think your stock sounds fine and IMO you definitely have room for more.
Don't worry about the inch per gallon guideline. It can be a good place to start, but its not perfect. :) IMO, you definitely have space for a nice big school of cardinals and a few more kuhlis. The more kuhlis you have, the more you will see them so since you have space, I recommend getting a few more. :)
AqAdvisor is not particularly accurate either. It works for starting out, but there are more factors to stocking than it adds up. Good job doing your research though. It is far easier to figure these things out before fish than after you purchased the fish. ;)

Back
Top Bottom