First thread and a question for you all.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smiffyboy81

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I've just joined and wanted to introduce myself, so hello all! But I've also got an issue with my 70 gallon freshwater setup.

I have a 10 gallon housing a male Betta and a baby flash plec. A 20 Gallon with some fancy and endler Guppies along with 4 Cory's and my 70 Gallon with 3 Electric Blue Jack Dempseys, 5 Angels, a Parrot, a Gold Nugget Plec and a Red Tail Shark.

The tank has been cycled for 4 months with no ammonia or nitrite present along with small traces do nitrate, this is still the case today.

I do weekly 30% weekly water changes and obviously treat my water with conditioner.

The temperature is at 28 degrees and the ph at 7.8, I use tap water which is relatively hard in my area.
I have both a Fluval 306 (with recently replaced Carbon) and an Aqua 200 filter in the tank.

Now, for some reason the water has been cloudy white for over a week now and I have no idea why!! It could be a bacterial bloom but would that last for over a week?

I added a small piece of Bogwood for my pleco about a month ago but the water isn't tanned, just cloudy. I also put Bogwood into my other 2 tanks and they are both fine.

I did a slightly larger water change about 2 weeks ago, about 50%, but didn't touch either of the filters or any substrate. When I do clean them I always use aquarium water.

Do you think I could have caused a mini cycle? I wouldn't think a mere water change would effect an established tank with good filtration but I can't be sure. Again though my readings have not changed at all and the fish all seem absolutely fine.

I'm doing small water changes every other day but the cloudiness just isn't shifting.

Has anyone experienced this before and did the water clear itself up in the end? And does anyone know what else may have caused it?

Sorry for rambling but I really miss my nice clear tank!

Thanks all.

Just regular gravel stones, it's been in their for ages, I do siphon weekly.

Today the haze has turned a slightly green colour so I'm thinking it is an algae bloom.

I was leaving my lights on for 12 hours a day and there's only a couple of live plants in the tank.

I'm gonna try having the lights off for a few days and reduce feeding for a while to try to kill the algae.

Any other suggestions would be great!!

Back
Top Bottom