First time planting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ndw

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had my tank for nearly a year when I first got the tank I didn't think I'd want live plants as I was more interested in the fish. I have now got the urge to plant the hell out of the tank. I like the look of the carpeted idea. Are there any carpet like plants that won't need a layer of substrate as I only have gravel down, any recommendations of easy keep plants would also help. Thanks

Welcome to the green side. I would say dark side but that is when you've decided to go "high tech no turning back" with this.
There is a lot of useful information in the link below so when you get a chance please peruse the plant related articles. The topics of lighting, fertilization, carbon, etc covered.
Low light - low tech is a good way to get started with planted tanks. There is quite a variety of low light tolerant plants one can use: Anubius, Java Fern, mosses, elodea to name a few.
Gravel is a suitable substrate for plants. Depending on the plant, substrate fertilization may be needed.
Carpet plants usually require medium to high light with ferts and a source of carbon. Not typically something one starts out with unless they have the proper equipment and materials.
Read up and bring your questions!
Articles to Help with the Planted Tank

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks so much for the info. I definitely want to start out with easy and low maintenance plants and see where it takes me. I will have a read of the links. Thanks for the help

You can grow pretty much any plants in gravel. It sill just be a little more irritating to initially anchor the plants.

However, the major limiting factor for plants is light level. For stock tank lighting you can handle low light plants. These include anubias, java fern, java moss, crypts, and bolbitis. The problem with that is there really isnt a carpeting plant in the low light list.

If you wanted to upgrade equipment then theres tons of options out there for other plants.

I don't think I'm ready to start upgrading lighting ect. They are only small tanks so I don't want to spend much on upgrading. I've seen some nice looking Beginner plants most of which you've both mentioned. I was told by lfs I needed All sorts of substrates and ferts for Any plants to go directly into gravel, So yet again another try on getting me to get my wallet out £££

I don't think I'm ready to start upgrading lighting ect. They are only small tanks so I don't want to spend much on upgrading. I've seen some nice looking Beginner plants most of which you've both mentioned. I was told by lfs I needed All sorts of substrates and ferts for Any plants to go directly into gravel, So yet again another try on getting me to get my wallet out £££

They are masters at emptying your pockets :)

Taking it slow is a good method. I on the other hand usually dive in head first :D If i took things slowly it would save me a lot of headaches.

The only thing you should need as far as fertilizers is some good root tabs, primarily for crypts. I did a write up on some diy tabs a while back. Check it out here. They are super cheap and very effective.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/mebbids-diy-root-tabs-308735.html

Il check that out. I like the look of water sprite. Have you had any experience with it ?

Il check that out. I like the look of water sprite. Have you had any experience with it ?

If you look at the link I posted, the plant on the far left for the first 2 pictures is water sprite. It grows like a weed. However, it doesn't do very good in low light. It'll survive, but it won't do very well.

If you look at the link I posted, the plant on the far left for the first 2 pictures is water sprite. It grows like a weed. However, it doesn't do very good in low light. It'll survive, but it won't do very well.

Your tanks incredible !! I have a fluval edge and I've read that the lighting is quite good for plants some people used it specifically for that. I have another question (sorry). at the moment I have fake plants and take them out to do a gravel clean. How would I clean the gravel with all the plants ? Or do you not have to do gravel cleans as much because the of the plants

Your tanks incredible !! I have a fluval edge and I've read that the lighting is quite good for plants some people used it specifically for that. I have another question (sorry). at the moment I have fake plants and take them out to do a gravel clean. How would I clean the gravel with all the plants ? Or do you not have to do gravel cleans as much because the of the plants

Thank you very much! It was my tank before I went into nursing school. It went downhill, but I'm working on getting it good looking again :)

People that keep planted tanks almost never vac the substrate. The goo and gunk down there is good for the plants.

Thank you very much! It was my tank before I went into nursing school. It went downhill, but I'm working on getting it good looking again :)

People that keep planted tanks almost never vac the substrate. The goo and gunk down there is good for the plants.

That's good, gotta have time for the things you love! Well that's even better then... Less maintainence on the tank floor. There are some really nice looking easy keep plants online I've seen. Really looking forward to getting started. I like the look of Java fern and what it does to the rock or drift wood its on. Turns it into whole forest !

That's a nice looking setup. The only thing I would do differently is separate the bunches in the back. It looks like the plants are still bound by a rubber band; they tend to rot if kept like this. Plant each stem separately.

Thank you. They are in a cotton wrap with some sort of weight to hold them down. The shop told me they stayed in the cotton wrap to hold but maybe your right. Thanks for the advise.

When stem plants are planted too closely, light and circulation are reduced and this often results in leaves dropping off in the lower section of the stem.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440069386.028313.jpg I've separated them abit I'm doing a water change in a few days so il get some long tweezers so I can seperate them and plant them a bit better then

Back
Top Bottom